Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on Chevys...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 22, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

So I spent last Sunday night(the night before my first day of work on the new job) at a shop until a little after midnight trying to repair someone elses mistakes on a Chevy(well GMC). Puting a new engine in a friend's 94 1500. The "expert" or as I like to call him "super tech" that my friend had help him with the engine build and install did a few things I just have to note. First we discovered(after the engine refused to run). He improperly installed the distributor, was a few teeth off. now granted that is an easy mistake and one I've made many times. Next after someone mentioned the occurance we discovered he had installed the camshaft 4* retarded :doah:. Now the camshaft is too large for a TBI enigne (110 lobe seperation angle, 220 something duration). I stated that early on but it went unnoticed. Add on top of that the 4* retarded and boy that TBI was throwing a fit trying to idle. Then while trying to lower the pan to reinstall the timing cover(after we fixed the cam timing), I noticed an odd placement for an aftermarket oil pressure guage(which the truck has in dash stock...). Someone had installed it into the coolant passenger, in the middle of the block down by the pan rail(usually taken up by a plug you need an allen key to remove... I guess the factory guage was taking up the spot so that was good enough? Then we discovered that the Knock sensor had not been reinstalled. Nope the connector was busted(I assume during removal) so I guess it was deemed uneeded. So finally a call was placed to Comp Cams who confirmed the camshaft was no good for TBI and hopefully it is all getting sorted out. Fun fun fun I say. And again, some people shouldn't be allowed to work on Chevy's. I am overly confident and come off as a bit arrogant about my Chevy knowledge often enough, thats why I wasn't sticking my nose into things from the start, but I wish they would have called me in for assistance on this whole thing from the get go.

yeah I'm just kind of venting. Anyone else have to go fix others Chevy mistakes?

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sorry to highjack but what does a 4* retard do? I remember reading somewhere about it but I cant find where I read it. I think it said something about 4* advance being good for one thing and retard good for another. could you please explain?

as far as fixing other people's mistakes Im in a constant state of fixing what the po did to my truck, mostly the wiring. Ive pulled out about 5lbs of wire that werent hooked to anything. makes the engine compartment look empty.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yep i have to deal with the mass of ****ty wiring that the po did to my truck
    every time i hit a bump the stero cuts off now
    good times

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, retarding camshaft timing makes the powerband come in at a higher RPM, and Advancing camshaft timing makes the powerband come in at a lower RPM. This is somthing you only want to do in an all out racing application because it takes a high performance ignition system, which can have the timing curve custom tuned. A factory ignition system cannot do this. My guess the camshaft was 4 degrees retarted because the guy that lined up the timing chain was retarded too.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ahh, thanks. I was under the impression it could be done to any motor.

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Retarding it is for top end gain and advanceing it is for bottom end gains.
    one would be for more race high reving and the other would be like 4x4 not high reving more crawling may be towing not sure about that though