Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some pics of the new cage installed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roostr3269, Aug 28, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I had a local guy that races monster trucks help me install the rollcage in the Jimmy. I still have some extra bracing to install, but this is it basically. http://groups.msn.com/72jimmy/pictures

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

That looks SWEEEEETTTT! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and functional. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Very nice cage. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'm trying to design my cage now..to be built in the winter.

I have never seen main hoops curve inward before bolting to the floor. Did you do this to clear the rocker boxes or to get closer to the frame? Did you bolt to the frame? It looks good, and I can see the advantages.

I noticed that you have no bar across the top of the windshield, but a bar near the dash. I think people usually do the opposite because they are worried about getting to the dash for instrument repair. Why did you decide not to put a bar at the windshield top...to keep the visors functional? This may be a good idea. I wonder if others have lost their visors when putting a bar at the roof line.

4. roostr3269

Thanx, It didnt quite come out like I had in my mind, but I'm happy with it. I still have to put the bar on by the top of the windshield. I think I am going to try to mount the visors on that bar itself. The lower bar is just for additional support as well as a grab handle, cause the passenger is gonna need it!!!....hehe. Thanx for the input.

5. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How about the inward curve of the main hoops? Were you trying to get to the frame or avoid the rocker boxes? I have never really seen an inward bend like your cage, and I am curious why it was done.
    Thanks.

6. roostr3269

Mainly trying to get closer to the frame. The front hoop by the dash still needs some reenforcing by the frame mount being that it's about 15 inches from the frame. I used 2" DOM, so i am hoping it should hold well in a roll, hopefully I'll never find out. Later.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I like how tall it is in the rear so it will hold everything off your head in a roll. Since I raised my seats to see over the big ass hood I need my cage to be higher like yours. By the way, nice yard too. Everything here in Denver is dead or at least brown from water restrictions

8. roostr3269

I'm happy the way the back turned out except very back 2 supports are right behind rear passengers heads, and a little too close. I am padding the bars, but still should rework them with a bend by the top of the rear main hoop. Hopefully post some "done" done pics this week. Thanx, Its been pretty dry here too, just had a couple days of rain, kinda greened things back up, later