Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some question about 700R4s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by micahsa15, Mar 1, 2005.

1. micahsa15

micahsa15 Registered Member

Hey there. Im sort of new to these forums. I signed up a while ago and didn't do much. But I think I'll be trolling the forums more often
    I have a 76 K5 with a 380HP 406. I put a 700R4 in it and I was wondering if any one has a similar setup. Some of the questions I've been trying to answer is

1- Are external (additional) ATF filets worth the trouble?
    2- How important is the temperature of ATF? Specifically can it be cooled too much.
    3- is my motor too much for a mostly stock 700r4? (it has a Trans Go shift kit and upgraded 3-4 band)
    4 Im also looking for a shop in Portland OR that really knows there stuff about 700R4s

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

External ATF filters are a good thing. They add capacity to the system to help keep fluid cooler longer, and they also provide an extra amount of filtration.

Tranny fluid can be to cool from what some people say. If the fluid doesn't get hot enough it will not let the condensation in the fluid evaporate.

A good friend of mine has a big cooler and filter on his truck and his fluid never gets above 150* and he has never had a problem with it. It is a trail truck that gets alot of hard miles and it doesn't seem to mind that the fluid doesn't get very warm.

Harley

3. micahsa15

micahsa15 Registered Member

Cool! thats good news. I have a external filter on my unit and the fluid is usually below 120. When im on the Highway and the torque converter is locked the temp is below 100 this time of year. I though about plumbing the lines back through the OEM coil inside the Radiator that was used by the TH350 in an effort to acheive more consisten temps.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If your temps are that low I would actually go ahead and plumb the factory cooler back inline infront of the the external cooler and filter. I would try and keep the temp on a 700R4 between 140 on the low side and 180 on the high side.

Harley