Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rhinopkc, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I am new to the forum and I am looking at buying my first full-size Blazer. I have been lurking for a while , trying to do research, now I have just a few questions: What are the major problem areas I need to really check when selecting a Blazer? What are some common errors people make when doing one ton swaps?(there are a few trucks I have seen advertised that already have one ton gear under them, seems like this could save some time and money) Are there any companys that make bolt-in family cages? I don't have a welder, so I can't fab one up myself. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions once I find a suitable truck, one more thing anyone here live in Havasu?

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

everyone always says check around the steering box for frame cracks. there's weld on and bolt on kits avail. to fix/prevent that, and everyone seems to recommend it. (my trucks not on the road yet, so i can't say much). it's hard to make many errors with the one ton swaps - it's pretty easy really. just make sure you have the right conversion ujoints, and make sure your wheels will clear your calipers (either grind to fit 15" wheels or run bigger wheels). i think some companies do make the bolt in cages - tho i highly doubt any could be direct bolt in - some cutting/drilling is surely necessary. check the vendor forum for that. check here for people from havasu.

where's your screen name come from? i named my truck "the rhino" - thought it was original, but i think you might bring tears to my eyes. :( oh well, i decided to name my engine today - it's gonna be called "the diamond in the rough". :D i just rebuilt.

3. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

My screen name comes from my nickname "Rhino" and my initials. It was given to me a long time ago in the Marine Corps because I was always crashing through things.