Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WillThisNameWork, Dec 27, 2001.

1. WillThisNameWork

WillThisNameWork Registered Member

Hi all,

I am going to buy my first full size blazer/jimmy real soon and would like some input from you guys who have them.

1. Can anybody fill me in on what the packages came with? Like K5, Silverado, etc...

2. I want a fully loaded 4x4. What should I look for between the late 70's and mid 80's?

3. I heard 82 to 86 had a 305 which would not be a problem since I am going to put in a 355 I rebuilt but is there any other sub-standard parts that were installed on those years?

4. Any tips or suggestions on what to look for when I am buying will be appreciated.

Any help will be appreciated....

WillThisNameWork

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Fill your profile out please [​IMG]

I'm not sure if you want the fully loaded option. The power windows fail and are expensive to fix. Mine is a '79 cheyanne (sp) and it's got all the creature comforts without power windows and power locks. that's the best and most reliable in my opinion.

Where do you live? I got a '79 cause it's grandfathered to most emission laws where I live, plus I like that style [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. WillThisNameWork

I'm in PHX AZ. I'll try to navigate my way to my profile page [​IMG]

PW and PL can be an issue with older GM cars/trucks. I always just pulled the parts from the wrecking yards for real cheap to replace them in my Camaro/Firebird restorations. I am assuming that GM also used the same standard parts in the truck line as well.

What years did the body style take changes? 73 to late 80's look preatty much the same to me but my eye is untrained to the truck lines.

Emmisions is a problem here as well but I intend to replace the entire drive train so I am actually hoping to find one with no motor or in very nice shape but with a bad motor (to save some money)

Did your Cheyanne come with the rear mounted spare tire holder and a rear power window?

Oh ya, can anybody tell me of a good aftermarket resto parts catalog I could send off for?

Thanks for the reply muddin4fun [​IMG]

WillThisNameWork

4. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

LMC Truck seems to make just about everything for our trucks. A little pricey I think, but good service &amp; selection is worth a little more $. Their site is http://www.lmctruck.com. Personally I wouldn't shy away from power options, they can be a pain to fix but like you said, pull the motors from junkers and save some dough. After owning a BMW, I can't do without power options hehe. Of course also after owning a BMW I love to fix my truck cuz it's sooo cheap in comparison :)

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't listen to the naysayers about power options - they not only add value to your truck, they're nice to have, and they are more reliable than you might think. My '79 with Cheyenne package has every option you could get back then..........I've owned this one for over 6 years and have not had to do a window motor or power door lock repair yet. Tha includes both front doors and rear tailgate power window. Nor did I have to on my first '79 that was fully loaded, which I owned for 5 years. Its awful nice to have the power options when you want to roll down the windows without having to stop the truck and hand crank them..........no thanks. If it rains, you can put them up in seconds while driving.

Add the other options to the list of wants - cruise is a great option, as is tilt steering, intermittent wipers and AC. In Phx, it gets hot no matter what the locals say about 'dry heat'.........110* is 110*. Gotta have AC.

Pre-80 was not called Silverado, it was Cheyenne with various add/deletes on the option lists. Not sure when all the power window-type option packages were available, but I looked at a '78 that had them. '80 was the first year for the Silverado badging. Look at the main site for specs on all year Blazers for motors, etc. '82-'86 had 10 bolt fronts (acceptable for basic duty) and not sure of the rear end but want to check for 10 or 12 bolts on the cover. 10 bolt rears are weak for a full size Blazer, especially if you go with larger than stock tires.

Fuel injection came factory from '87 up........might be worth a look if you have the $$ - plus most '87 and up have the power option packages, and overdrive transmissions that are much improved over the early '80's 700R4's that were weak. That is about the biggest issue with an '82-86 for you to deal with, the trans. If it has been rebuilt, great, if not might be trouble in the future.

Let us know what you get, and if we can offer more opinions/help.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

My K5 is an 86- its creature comforts are as follows

front vent windows-(thats my AC)
    power rear window - that has a mind of its own
    I think I have tilt ? thats about IT!

The reason I wasn't looking for all of the power stuff- is simple. I had 3K to spend on a truck- it either had to be or was going to be lifted- all the trucks I found with power options were 3K and they were NOT lifted-- I got my for 3k- which went down to 2,600 when I let him give me back the 1/2 ton and take out the 3/4- it already had a 4" skyjacker and a 3" body- the floors were already redone- it came with new inner/outter fenders, and new doors, not just the skins- so, you may be looking for something specific- but you may not find it, and end up with a better deal in the end... Which is what I think I did.
    now creature comforts are different when you think about what we drive long distance- our new 2500HD has everything except leather seats- (short shorts, hot sun, leather seats-- they don't mix)... so I do think they are nice, I just didnt want to spend the $$ to have that, then have to spend more $$ to lift the truck-

hope this helps- and welcome aboard- hang on tight, it gets crazy- and don't stay away for more than 12 hours or so, in that time 3000000 posts will be made! LOL

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You asked about model changes over the years.
    There are the 73-80 blazers and the 81-91 blazers.
    They have different styled front clips, dash, everything. The drivetrains are interchangable between all the years, but a lot of interior stuff is not. Go with the style you like. I ike the ealier style.
    And yeah, you want AC.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

What's up with all you guys from freekin Phoenix? Where's the Tucson people!
    You HAVE to have a/c. It's a must here in AZ! I would gladly sacrifice a/c for power accessories in a heart beat. I don't like power windows and locks. Kinda like auto hubs , might as well have a 4x selector button on the dashboard.[​IMG] One of the weak points on the early 80 blazers was the 700r4. I think it came out on the 83's. They're awesome if rebuilt correctly. I heard they got it together in 86 tho. Try to find a 350/205 combo if possible.(Bulletproof). Anyway, welcome to Colorado k5!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey by the way there are a few here in Tucson if you're interested. Around $3000 on the high end.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Figure out what you really like and what you want to do with it then go from there. What size tires do you want... that'll help to determind what axles and gears to consider. Do you like manual or auto trannys? Diesel or gas engine? Carb or fuel injection? The first step is to weight all the options and things you'd like to have and then see what is out there. If you can't find exactly what you want then find the closest you can and think about the mods you will be doing.... biggest bit of advice is to check over anything extremely well for rust and bondo. Suck to get a great deal only to have the floor rot out a month later.......

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

11. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Well I am in Scottsdale, AZ and don't have or will have AC [​IMG] It wouldn't work very well with no doors or top .... [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT
    <font color=red>MERRY CHRISTMAS</font color=red>

12. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

get the power locks and windows. reaching over to lock/unlock, or roll the window sucks. it's downright dangerous while you're driving.......

greg ( they can get slower and slower, as long as they still work.... im patient)

** i'm so money **

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Some things you might want to look for or out for,
    Rust[​IMG]...Floor pans
    Floor board in back
    Lower sections of quarter panels
    Engines 305[​IMG]...forget it
    350...buy it[​IMG]
    454...buy it...not oem[​IMG]
    400...buy it[​IMG]
    Transfer cases
    205 buy it[​IMG][​IMG]
    203 ????
    208 buy it IMHO great low gears[​IMG]
    Trannys any turbo is good
    Rebuilt 700r are okay
    Trucks with blocks....forget them...or replace them as soon as you buy[​IMG]
    Frames check 'em close....alot of them are bent[​IMG]
    Look under the rig, if theres a butt-load of oil splatter pass that one by. Look for welds in the frame where there shouldn't be welds..pass that one also.
    Look for 14 bolts and Dana 60's if you're lucky and find one BUY IT!!!Fast[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    common sense is the key on buying any used vehicle, look and listen to the vehicle.

Good luck and welcome to the best lit'l K5 site on the web

White Knight

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Good to see another guy from PHX. My 86 was fully optioned before I rolled it. It had 140,000 miles on it and the only thing I replaced was the drivers side power window motor. For getting through emissions with no problems get a 87-91. The EFI helps out alot. If you dont like EFI then go 85 or 86.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The body style is essentially identical for 73-91. The body style was different on the first generation blazers, 68-72. Only ohter major difference in the body stuff was that 73-76(?) had a full removeable top whereas 77-91 had a steel cab over the front seat with only the rear portion of the top removeable.

Some people say that 305s suck, that 700R4s suck, and that 10-bolts suck. Well, that may be true for some, but not all. I have had my 85 GMC Jimmy for 8.5 years now. I had the tranny rebuilt 6 years and 50,000 miles ago. Not a problem since. Cost me about $700 for a good rebuild back then. Not too bad for maintenance costs over 8.5 years. Advantage of a 700R4 over the 350 or 400 trannies is OD, as you probably know if you are into GMs. Can't beat OD for highway driving. I have also had a 305 for 170,000 miles. Never had a problem. I am finially replacing it with a 350 just because I want more power. But, there is nothing wrong with the one I have. Very reliable. And, 10-bolt axles... I have 10-bolts front and rear with full Detroit lockers front and rear. I run 35" tires with 4.56 gears. No breaks, yet! A lot has to do with how well you manage the right foot.

If you are getting one to restore, the axles probably won't matter because you probably aren't going with oversized tires. However, if you are going to lift it, I would recommend planning all you want to do before starting. That way you don't pay for things twice.

I also highly recommend power options. I have never had a problem with mine. Work great. Just need some oiling of the tracks from time to time to keep the motors all happy and healthy.

One last thing, K5 is simply the GM moniker like 1500 was for 1/2 tons, 2500 for 3/4 tons and so forth. In GM world, K denotes 4WD and C is 2WD. Chevy Silverado and GMC High Sierra are synonomous (sp?).

If you want to replace the engine, decide if you want to worry about emissions. Here in TX, emissions are checked back 24 years. I am getting a trail rig that is beyond that so I don't even have to worry. If you want to go FI on your new motor you plan to build, I recommend an 87-91. They used TBI and have the full computer controls already available. If you will go with carbueration (sp?) on your new motor, find one prior to 87. Those don't have any computer controls. Many 83-86 have 305s, but you probably won't pay any less for one of those than you would for the same truck with 350. It is the drivetrain, 4WD, and name/body that you are paying for.

Hope that helps, and welcome to our family.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

16. WillThisNameWork

Thanks for all the help guys/gals [​IMG]

This is a great site and I am getting closer to knowing what to look for.

BTW I am going to put in an '87 350 TPI I just finished rebuilding. It was going to go in in a 67 Camaro but with emissions here in the valley I thought I should save it for my future 4x4.

WillThisNameWork

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looks like everyone's got you pretty much covered. Not much I can add except to second the '87 up if you can afford it. Fuel Injection is nice, even if it is TBI. As has been mentioned, the early 80's 700R4s were really bad so you might want to avoid them. 90-91 (89 too? not sure) K5/Subs had those nice skinny headlight fronts caps. That would be my first choice due to nice/unusual front cap and EFI 350. My second choice would be 73-75 which have the full convert. Or better yet, do like I did, and get a 75 with the late front cap (easy change over). Lets see, what else... Sheet metal (and just about everything else) is pretty much all the same from 73-91 except for the full-convert stuff and the front fenders changed to the straight lines around 81 or so when they went to square headlights (seems like there was one year overlap where it had 70s fenders and square headlights). That's about all I can think of.

BTW, I'm in Phoenix (PV) not far from you.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Here are the sales brouchures for 1969-1991.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures/blazer3.html#1978blazer>click here</a>
    These will let ya know what came with what and with what options.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Right on, another TPI motor guy.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

20. WillThisNameWork

Great site POWERMAD [​IMG]

WillThisNameWork