Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some quick questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GONZO2, Jul 19, 2002.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i just swapped over the suspension lift from my 85 to my 88 blazer. it will be running the same 35" tires.
    the questions are:
    1)what is a good tranny cooler to go with (are they an easy bolt in or are modifications required)?

2) a good reciever hitch that is a straight bolt on as well (are there any)?

3) will the gas 32 gallon gas tank from my 85 fit under the 88 and if it does will it work with the tbi system (85 is carb'd)?

thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    2) a good reciever hitch that is a straight bolt on as well (are there any)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one on mine that is probably a dealer installed "Valley". The "stock" ones such as this are great, except that they kill departure angle. I was looking at mine last night as a matter of fact. Newer vehicles all come with the tubular receiver mounts (oval tubing instead of square) and if you could make or get something like that for a K5, you would only hurt departure angle by about 2". (receiver thickness)

I doubt anyone makes anything like this for our trucks, but if they do, (or you can) thats the route I'd take. Even with the stock bumper, I can see being able to move the receiver up quite a bit and still not interfere with the license plate.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    3) will the gas 32 gallon gas tank from my 85 fit under the 88 and if it does will it work with the tbi system (85 is carb'd)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will fit, but the tanks are different. You can buy the 33 gallon Fuel Injection tanks from www.natauto.com for $125 or so. (plus shipping)

The FI tanks have baffles in them that the carbed trucks don't, and while some are running the carbed tanks with FI, it can and will cause problems depending. People that try this with cars have problems, as soon as you uncover the fuel pump pickup, (acceleration, cornering, nose up/nose down, low fuel levels) it will die. I'd rather not have to worry about gas level when climbing something steep. Stock baffled tanks use crummy plastic, more often than not, they are broken, and IMO, aren't worth looking for used. The aftermarket tank I'm talking about has metal instead of plastic baffles.

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info on the fuel tank.
    will have to look into that 33 gallon tank. these trucks need all the fuel they can carry.