Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some rear disc swap questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Jan 4, 2007.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I finally got my eldorado calipers for my 14bff swap today. I am planning on installing them tomorrow and have a few last questions. From what I understand there is some sort of a check valve that maintains a few pounds of pressure in the lines for the factory rear drums. This is located in the master cylinder right? I would imagine this should be removed, can anyone tell me where to find it, and how to get to it and remove it? Oh, and the truck is an '89 Jimmy. I was also wondering if I am going to need an adjustable proportioning valve, or am I ok without one? And the last question I have is about the e-brake. Do you guys just use the stock e-brake cables to run the ones on the caddy callipers? Anyone got pics of their setups? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You do not need to remove anything from the system nor do you need to modify anything other than adding your rear disc set-up. I used my factory e-brake cables. Here are a couple pics of my set-up on my 89 blazer.

Caddy rear disc brake cailpers 001.jpg

Caddy rear disc brake cailpers 002.jpg

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

so then, does your pedal feel firm or does it go to the floor like others have been having problems with?

4. 4X4HIGH

My pedal is firm and works just as it did when i had rear drum brakes but the only difference now is that i can stop on a dime.

I've been running my rear disc now for about 4 years without a single problem.

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That is good news, it will make the job that much easier. Thanks for the info, and the pics. I can not view the pictures though, I think I need to update my membership, I have been away from ck5 and my own k5 for a long time. Thanks again.

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

why is your spring like that? mine is totally different. i also really cant get the pass side e brake to work that well.

DSCF0008.JPG

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my ebrake is for show... well at least it was last time I went through inspection....

It doesnt work great but the brakes stop alot better... I had problems with the drums and these suckers are nice......

I need to make better brackets for my ebrake as all I did was run the lines under and leave them under the axle.... not the greatest....but it does work sort of....

I was playing in a cranberry bogg so there is all kinds of grass in the brakes :haha:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just noticed.. why can I notice your rotor is out of the rim where mine sits in it?
    just curious... I have az-kickin's kit

9. 4X4HIGH

Your bracket and springs are from the eldo calipers and mine are from fleetwood and seville calipers. My calipers are eldo but nothing else. It is way too hard to find the eldo hardware but super easy to find the fleetwood and seville hardware.