Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some ??'s about lockers, LS, posi's, etc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, May 13, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Some ??\'s about lockers, LS, posi\'s, etc

I've pretty much made up my mind on a TrueTrac for my '87's rear. However, while doing some websurfing on another site (Sorry!), I thought of something... What happens if you get a flat tire with a locker or limited slip?
    As I see it, when the tire goes, the locker/LS will "see" a loss of traction by one wheel and operate as advertised. Problem is, you've got 2 different tire diameters due to the flat, so one tire&wheel will spin "slower" on the ground and make an already-squirrely vehicle even harder to safely control.
    Am I reading too much into this? Am I worried about something that, due to our tire sizes, isn't even going to be a factor? I ask because my daily drive is mostly highway, and the thought of a 33" tire going away at highway speed is bad enough without adding gasoline to the fire.
    Has anyone ever had a flat on-road with a locker/LS? Tell us about it, please. Thanks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: Some ??\'s about lockers, LS, posi\'s, etc

Good point!! And your right! If you are going to do lite off road then the trutrak will hold up fine in the back. For hard use then you need a ARB locker or a detroit both work fine for heavy loads both open up on the street. In the front only the ARB works true you can use the others but you will be locking and unlocking the front hubs ALL THE TIME to turn!!!!!!!

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

Re: Some ??\'s about lockers, LS, posi\'s, etc

your right about the flat t tire causeing a problem with a locker. the flat tire would be smaller the full tire thus meaning it has to spin faster than the full tire .......it will cause the locker to unlock (they never realy unlock they just allow the faster spinning tire to "ratchet" past the spead of the slower tire) the locker will not allow either tire to spin slower than the speed of the ring gear .....but it does let one tire over run the speed (spin faster "ratchet") so you wont get that squirly problem you mentioned ......other than the fact you have a flat 33 inch tire at 65
    also just FYI a LS and posi is the same thing..........hope this helps

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>