Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some ?'s about steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroadcowboy, May 14, 2004.

1. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Some ?\'s about steering

Okay here goes. I want to do a crossover steering setup on my blaze but I cant afford it yet so in the meantime I need suggestions on how to at least make it safe . Here is a little background info. I have a 87 Blaze with Dana 44 front ,6 " superlift with Hill 4 WD HD shackles a 4-6" lift steering arm? running 35's, newer steering box
    1. would a steering block like those found on the Parts Mike site be a good idea to straighten out my draglink angle?
    2. how about an 1" and a .5 " welded together and using longer studs?
    3. a new steering shaft?
    I also believe I need some degree shims to help my pinion and driveshaft angles and get my knuckles back vertical.

Lastly does anyone make a high steer/crossover kit for a dana 44 like ORD makes for the 60? Something with two steering arms and double holes for the tie rod?

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifJeff /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Some ?\'s about steering

[ QUOTE ]
    I need suggestions on how to at least make it safe

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the steering right now isn't safe?

6" springs and a 4" raised steering arm is quite common. I didn't even have that much trouble with 4" and no steering correction till I swapped in some real soft springs.

[ QUOTE ]
    I also believe I need some degree shims to help my pinion and driveshaft angles and get my knuckles back vertical

[/ QUOTE ]

That will just get rid of the caster and make the steering worse.

Is your frame around the steering box cracked?

Do you have a sway-bar with disconnects?

3. offroadcowboy

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the steering right now isn't safe?

6" springs and a 4" raised steering arm is quite common. I didn't even have that much trouble with 4" and no steering correction till I swapped in some real soft springs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Its not that the steering isnt safe its sloppy and there is a lot of steering input/bumpsteer.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is your frame around the steering box cracked?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you have a sway-bar with disconnects?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes

I want/think i need degree shims to get my pinion angle /drivshaft angle a little less severe. also making my draglink angle level?
    The thing is I know it wont be like a new car but it seems that it should be able to be a little tighter. Depending on the advice I recieve I may deal with it until I can do crossover.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifJeff /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Shims are the last thing you want to do because it will get rid of caster. How much longer are your shackles then stock? If they are too long you could be right about needing shims...but you should take it to an alignment shop and have them tell you how much shim you need to get your caster in spec. Personally if they are more then 1" longer then stock I would just ditch them.

Have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the truck running while you look at the steering system. I have seen everything from loose u-bolts/sheared center pine, egged out spring hangers, toast bushings, frame cracks, warn steering components (rag joint, DRE's, TRE's, Ball joints, steering dampner, shocks, etc...). I really don't see your geometry as being the problem. One of the SoCalBigDawgs had a 2" dropped pitman arm and a 4" raised steering arm on his truck with a 6" lift. He removed the 2" dropped pitman and had less bump steer. It is not so much that the drag-link needs to be parallel to the ground but that it needs to be parallel to the front part of the springs.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

On the front I would worry less about the d-shaft angle and more about castor. Longer shackles often require shims (at least mine did) to make the steering feel less loose (GM steering should not be reffered to as *tight* by any means) I don't know the degree specs on the axle but it is pretty simple to check.

As far as welding spacers, I would to avoid it. GM steering is a friction fit, not a shear fit. The welding can shange clamping force allowed by the studs. 6" lift with a 4" arm will do ya plenty find if you get your front end set up correctly. Save the $$ for x-over.

6. offroadcowboy

Hey guys thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thats what makes this site such a good resource . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif this is my first Blazer . I wanted a drivable project and got one and i just need to get her fine tuned.I think that im going to wait and save for the crossover and do it right and once . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif