Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some speaker questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Dale fan, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Got a few worst buy gift cards from santa and so I'm going to upgrade the factory deck in my 90 K5. I'll need to replace all of my factory speakers also and I was wondering about the dash speakers. I used to have a 85 silverado and the stereo shop squeezed 2 speakers in the center location. I see that LMC actually sells a deal loaded with the speakers to fit in the center hole for the trucks that had the am setup. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a bracket to hold 2 3.5's in the middle or will I just have to fab one? I'm going to go all out while I have the dash pulled. Also, will the Infinity Kapas fit in the corner factory locations or will I have to go with the references? According to Crutchfields site nothing will fit that they sell but their info on the 88-91's is kind of sketchy. The same for the rear, will any 4x10 work or could I fit a pair of 4's back there. I'm just looking for highs.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that in my 85 blazer an aftermarket 3 1/2" dash speaker wouldnt fit with out some dash modification. The speaker bolts to a bracket that then bolts into the dash...the magnet on an aftermarket speaker would be too big. I have never seen a plate that would adapt two 3 1/2" speakers in the center location. As for the rear, the sky is the limit. There is plenty of room to mount what ever 4X10 you might want.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you are really planning to go "all out", there is no reason why you couldn't put whatever you want up front.

When I took my dash pad off, I saw the stock speaker setup, and its a factory hole with an adapter bracket for the small OEM speaker. If you ditch the bracket and open up the hole a bit (hello Dremel tool!) you could put a larger speaker in there. I might consider mounting the speaker from underneath to give yourself a little extra cone clearance under the factory grilles....

As far as the center speakers go.....I'm not sure what you intend to get by putting additional speakers there (a center channel perhaps?)....it's a pretty simple install, but with speakers in the corners of the dash it's probably an unnecessary step...

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about getting quite that creative but I need something to use the dremel on so I may have to give that a shot. As for the center, I really don't need it now but I may go ahead and try to put some in there for a future center channel if needed.

5. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

make your own bracket, its easy, metal back strapping

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

In the rear, just cut out the panels for 6x9's or 6.25's.
    I'd ditch the speakers in the cargo area and mount them right
    next to the rear seat in the blazer....