Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some stirring... Police test accused of discriminating, so they dumbed it down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 11, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

http://www.adversity.net/c21_tbd.htm

If you read the article, you'll understand the potentially confusing situation (yes, I know the update was in 2001, I just started looking into this).

Basically, the county police test used to evaluate applicants based on mental/cognitive abilities. Someone decided this was causing too many minority applicants to be rejected, so they made it a federal issue, and the test was "dumbed down" in order to allow more minority applicants to pass the exam. The argument was that minorities are usually poorly educated, therefore a test of cognitive abilities would discriminate against them.

Not for nothing, but isn't the point of a Police service exam to filter out idiots and incompetents?
    The test didn't say "If you're black or hispanic, check the box at the top marked 'unqualified'.", and I can't believe "Do you remember what the suspect was wearing" is somehow discriminatory, except to people with a sh***y memory (which might be me after all).

I haven't seen the exam, but I was chatting with a detective my age who said it's brainless. She said intelligent people fail because they think the questions are trick questions; they don't believe the questions can be that easy. :doah: She told me not to use a study guide.

Now I see why she thought that.

Nobody has done anything about correcting the perceived poor education problem with minorities. Ah heck, it's easier just to lower the bar. :rolleyes:

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Lower standards will be the end to us all:crazy:

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Same reason this country's education is in the ****ter.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I wanted to cool down al little before i replied a little more indepth but that is freakin retarded. No way around it...

The people that patrol our streets and keep us safe need to be able to um... idk, think:rolleyes:

Not to mention when an officers goes to court/ writes a report, dont the have to be able to articulate waht has occured?:confused:

Also isnt it discriminatory to say people of other races are less educated? :thinking: So by making an argument of saying "These test driscriminate..." you are discriminating to prove a point...aghhh my head hurts:crazy:

This is just too stupid

5. mr.smartass

Well if that's the argument, you can say the same thing about affirmative action...

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Los Angeles fixed that by giving 10 extra "automatic" points to minorites and females on writtens and oral interviews...

Im not sure if it still goes on.. some white person might have reverse discriminated and sued them... I hope so

it sure frosted my butt.. you should have seen some of the worthless POS that made it thru on the minority train.. so stupid they couldnt write a simple burglary report

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You know, the "silent majority" (myself included) are letting this whole country go into the ****ter. When are we the people going to stop letting this happen? But I've tried to get the sheeple to wake up, and well, I don't have alot of faith in most of the younger generation.

John

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen the Carlos Mencia show, where he had the "Lower the standard" song? Funny, but sad, but true.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

10. mr.smartass

Though I do find most of his stuff annoying he does make a good point... sad thing is I'm part of this younger generation... and the ones younger than me are even worse.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yes, we are doomed!!there is no striving to be better anymore. just get by.i read in the MY TURN section of Newsweek, about a TV reporter that quit his job cuz his boss told him to "dumb it down for joe six pack"?????:rolleyes:

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

when its too late as usual.the sheeple don't wan't to give up a night in front of the idiot box to change anything.they might get arrested!OOOOOOOO:eek1: chicken ****s.they would rather sit around and biatch aboot it.SHAME ON THEM!!they have banned affirmative action to get in colleges in Mich.so i guess thats a start. i almost was asked to leave my Uncles Firestation. i started on afirm act. and then i realized there was a member that was there because of it.:haha: so i quickly changed the subject.i didn't want the girl to think they agreed with me and get them in trouble.they have to carry a 170lb dummy,all she has to carry is 65lb.:rolleyes: so if i'm and average adult male i get to die in the fire???