Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some stuff I want to know more about....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Aug 13, 2005.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Like I have said in some other messages in this board, I bought a lot of stuff from a military vehicle. It had 6.2 and I am putting it in my K5. I got some stuff with it I want to know more of (was on the inner fender).

I have posted some questions and pictures before and its amasing how short time it takes to get the correct answears. Now it might be a bit more difficult because I think most of those things are not very common. Its probably a part of some Artic pack or something.

First, here is the vehicle:

[​IMG]

This vehicle was used to tow airplanes.

1: This is a fuel pump. It also has a mech fuel pump. I was guessing it was a lift pump. Should I use it?

[​IMG]

I know the mech pump should be enough but it might be better to have a lift pump. The guy who sold me the engine told me the mech pump where not connected, only this fuel pump.

2: I dont have a clue what this black box is. There is a plug on the harness for it so I am going to plug it in.

[​IMG]

It would be nice to know what it does, or if the engine needs it.

This vehicle had lot of heating devices. Next photos are off some off that stuff.

3: [​IMG]

4: This is probably a power sourche.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5: I think this is to heat the coolant.
    [​IMG]

It would be great if anybody could tell me something about it.

Thanks, Jon H.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

1. Fuel pump. If it is what I think it is those are an odd design. They work sort of like a solenoid and have a shuttle-plunger that moves back and forth inside the body. There is a switch the reverses the coil polarity to drive the plunger in both directions. Never been impressed with them myself. Tend to see them a lot on boats in this area.

2. No Clue. Diesel specific part?

3. Little Giant pump. Commonly used for solvent tanks and backyard landscaping waterfalls. Suspect it was used to circulate coolant through the engine to thoroughly warm everything.

4. Looks to be a 110VAC power distibution center. Likely to make it so that it needed only one plug-in was needed for the block heaters etc. to work. Didn't know anyone still used screw-in fuses.

5. Might be, no clue.

3. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thank you for taking your time helping me. There is no way I could have figuret it out on my own.

I also asked on thedieselpage.com and the say that #5 is a Tank Heater

The black box remains a mistery.

Thanks, Jon H.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

If #2 is on the tank i'd say its the gas gauge and fuel pump harness but i know jack sh!t about diesels.

by the way the military rig is badass... if i were you i'd drop a hot 355 or 383 in there :D :wink1:

5. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

#2 is on the inner fender, so I dont think it has anything to do with the gas gauge :(

Yes this rig was a hadcore. I did not buy the whole vehicle, just the stuff I needed. I had some strange housings with ultra low gearing. I think it had like 25:1. I guess the top speed has been around 15-20 mph :doah:

I had a hot 350 in my truck for years. Its been a lot of fun but know its getting a little to expensive. The price of gas is around $6.90 over here and the truck was getting close to 9 MPG. If I can get 15 MPG with the diesel I will be very happy :)

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Yeah most miliatary vehicles never see 30 mph...

7 bucks a gallon??? :eek: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :eek1: How much is diesel?

You should get 20 mpg depending on gear ratio, OD or non OD, and tire size... there are guys on here running 38 inch tires low gears getting 18 mpg.

7. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Diesel is a little cheaper, but not much. My K5 has 38", 4.88 and TH400 so I would be happy with 15 mpg. 18 would be great :)