Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some sunday morning amusement...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, got a call last night from a bud about coming down for a get together and skating his mini ramp... i had the itch to skate and weather was decent, so off i went..

i skated pretty well considering i hadn't been on a ramp in about 4 months and have the knees of a 90 yr old.... ;)

well, until i faceplanted the flatbottom.. :eek1: :blush: the cashier at the 7/11 was quite bewildered by me on my ride home... ;)

[​IMG]

kinda a letdown for my first post 40 session.. :( but hey, i didn't blow a knee out, which is the usual concern.... :D

and yup, no helmet... i just wear knee stuff when skating mini-ramps. at parks and big vert i always have it on... this was more of a trip over your feet kinda slam.. simple smith grind and i ended up eating ply... oh, and a splinter the size of Texas in my palm... :rolleyes: :rotfl:

for some insight into the type of skating i'm into, heres a couple minute clip of some friends at some places i've skated..

http://www.negativeion.com/fruit/vids/archive.html

hopefully my ugly mug hasn't ruined sunday brunch for ya! :haha:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool vid. I've just gotten to the point that I wear a helmet while mountain biking. Age does that (and kids).

3. ryoken

yeah, this just really an abrasion type slide, not a slam concussion type hit..

i can honestly say that it has been a pretty rare occurence in over 30 yrs of skating.. its only happened a couple times and thats pretty good considering some of the huge terrain i've skated.. 30' fullpipes, 15' pools, etc...

i generally have the brain bucket on about 50% to 75% of the time these days.. anything with over 4' high walls and i have it on... when i was in my early 20's and had a 11' high 1/2 pipe in the yard, i rarely wore it.. young and brash type thinking...

i need to do a new mt bike this year.. mines cr*p and i'd like to get more heavily into.. its easy on my knees.. i've often trained on it for conditioning.. but that is only street miles.. i'd like to get more offroad this year.. haha, i used to ride bmx bikes in pools and stuff back in the late 70's a little... now those guys, bike vert, they get slammed worse than skaters.. at least on a deck, you can kick it out.. bike guys end up going down with "ship".. :crazy:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Awlriiiight!

Badge of honor, I think it's great that your still at it. Remember the days of the old metal wheel boards!

Death wobble and skinned forearms - oh yeah!

Keep it up Ryoken, your one of my heros. :D

5. ryoken

thanks man... :D

skating is an unusual thing... its very, very hard for nonskaters to understand.. most think its silly, but i don't care.. thats why i can really appreciate your thoughts..

i've played just about every sport known to man, but nothing remotely comes close to the feelings you get skating vert.. it really is undescribable.. throw in some artistic expression with the physical stuff and it really touches your soul... the most athletically challenging and rewarding thing i've ever done, hands down..

i've had points in my life where i was so addicted to that feeling.. from dorking around with simple but fun tricks and terrain, to intensity and a fear for your life that really tests your kahunas. ;)

as i've aged my appreciation for those feelings has grown tremendously.. when your young, you take it for granted.. every grind these days is bliss for me... i'm like some aged boxer who refuses to retire.. i'm about 1/10 as good as i was 15, 20 yrs ago, but it doesn't matter.. if i can just cruise down the street when i'm 50, i'll have a smile on my face... :D

i started in 74.. post urethane age... Sims Comps on Tracker trucks with skinny solid wood decks... hehe, no steelies for me... i once had a friend death wobble it right in front of me going about 40 down a local hill.. he ate it chest first... gave me a healthy respect for downhill death wobble.. :crazy:

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

jeez pual. loks like the concrete won. lol

glad you had fun though!!!

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  8. ryoken

haha, no i hadn't seen that before.. looks vintage 70's tho.. :haha:

this is more what i'll be waiting for... http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/lordsofdogtown/video/trailer/trailer_high.asx

basically a hollywood version of Stacey Peraltas Dogtown documentary from a couple years ago.http://movies.real.com/movie/etc/trailer_embed.html?movieid=6148800&autostart=true hope that one works, a don't have real player installed..

that was my life as a teen in the 70's.. those guys were my heros... if you ever get a chance, rent the Dogtown Z-boys documentary... great stuff, good sound track, very entertaining for nonskaters alike...

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I still have my Schmitt Stix Lucero. I pull it out a couple of times a year and let the kids have a giggle at my expense.....

[​IMG]

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya thats the one i ment to link to, i fixed it

11. ryoken

haha, freakin awesome!!!! :saweet: :bow: :waytogo:

have you ever priced that deck on Ebay?!? that deck alone goes for $200 to $500.. his most valuable deck..

i've got a couple worth bucks... hard for me to let em go.. prolly have 20 or so floating around the house.. old busted decks are hanging all over my living room walls.. might as well enjoy em now while i'm a free man...

here ya go... heres some...
    [​IMG]

and here's my rider setup for last summer...

[​IMG]

thanks bro, you made my day with that pic. :D

that was a very dead era in skating... all the parks had been closed, etc.. but the hardcore guys forged on underground... eh, most of the time skaters are a reclusive, rebel group to begin with... just leave me alone and let me skate mentality... i can appreciate advancements and recognition for it tho... it was like that when i started.. my passion for it kept me into it thru the ignored years..

street was pretty popular i guess by the time you where riding, jump ramps, handplants and such.. i stay pretty involved in the scene today.. i have a real appreciation for modern street skating, but not the knees to learn it.. i'll stick to transition.. :o

12. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

He also made my day with this pic... famous last words

[​IMG]
    Ha ha :mad: Our eight year old did this with the almighty skateboard.:shame: Guess Can Can has another home repair to do.

13. ryoken

:doah: :eek1: :yikes: :bow:

my bad... apologies for evoking the juvenile in Paul.. ;)

you wanted that wall taupe anyway, right? :whistle: :wink1:

14. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Oh well, stuff happens. I almost had to laugh, because Paul was mad... are you allowed to skateboard indoors???

15. ryoken

nah, my house is too tiny.. ;)

but i have turned a basement into a skatepark on occasion and drained MANY a backyard pool... :whistle: :rotfl:

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've always emant to bring up the Godtown Docu with you, it's a great wacth in and of itself. It caprtures an odd time in American history, and a cool subgroup

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

don;t stop having fun till your body quits.:laugh: i still jump bmx bikes and now have the neighborhood kids doing it too. the adults think i'm an idiot doing this at 39. i tell e'm you go watch your program on TV and i'll keep living.:)

18. ryoken

haha, i can definitely see you appreciating that flick.. :saweet: i've skated with Shogo when he was here in Jersey....

the early surf POP pier stuff is really cool for all the art, etc.. i've turned alot of nonskaters on to it that enjoyed it immensely..

and yeah, Stacey did an awesome job with it, believe it won at Sundance that year..... hopefully the Sean Penn movie will do it some justice..

an updated headshot 24 hrs old.... works gonna suck tommorrow... :(

[​IMG]

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man I butchered that spelling, sorry

I'm going to buy it when I get around to it. The whole evolution of the sport

Can't forget punk/skate art, I'm going to do a 32'x8' piece on thw side of my shop

20. ryoken

ooh yeah, i didn't even think of that for you.. wow, actually some of your drawing style seems to remind me of that 80's punk/skate stuff you'd see in Thrasher..

tho huge in vert and skating in general, i'm not a huge punk fan, i tend to like metal/hard rock.. theres some i like.. a top five band for me is definitely L7... that sh*t rocks... some are good to skate to.. fast is always good skating pools... some Suicidal Tendencies, Butthole Surfers, COC, maybe some Pistols..

here's what i would call some 80's punk style art i animated..

[​IMG]

hmm, new avatar.... :thinking: wth is with that darn first frame..:(