Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some suspension Questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Mar 24, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to lift my truck from the 2.5 inch lift it has now to either 4 or 6 inches. Right now I'm thinking 4 inches because I don't want to buy new drivelines, the better driveline angles of a 4"lift, and oh yeah, it's a pain to lift things in it as high as it is now . After some influence of this board I'm pretty set on some TC 4 inch EZ's up front, with some ORD shackles and a few other misc. parts. My question deals with the rear. Here are my ideas:

1: New 4 inch lift spring. This is expensive, and I'm not sure if the soft lift spring can keep axle wrap under control with 35's. Ride would improve.

2: ORD shackel flip with my existing 3/4 ton rear springs. Relativly inexpensive. The springs are stiff enough to keep the rear from hopping around for the most part.
    But I'm not sure about the shackel being flipped having an effect on axle hop.

Basically it boils down to this, what would be the best way to lift the rear 4 inches that would give me less axle hop and not ride any worse than my current setup (52" 3/4 ton springs with a 2.5" block).

I remember the days of my flexy 1/2 ton springs and thier smooth ride, but had to ditch them when they started breaking and letting the 14 bolt jump all over the place. A better ride would be nice, but at this point I'm more concerned with the axle staying planted. The 14FF will contain a Detroit and some 4.56's. I wheel a lot in deep sand and on trails. I do haul some stuff occasionally, usually less than a thousand pounds in the back. I'm not sure if lift springs are stiff enough for that.
    Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!!

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm gonna go with a 4" shackle flip on the rear of my 3/4 suburban. so i would go with the flip, i carry stuff too and i know what you mean by thinking that lift springs would be too soft.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

MY OPINION: I recommend that if you will only run 35" tires, go with the 4" lift. I prefer Skyjacker springs. I have and like the ORD shackles. Spend the extra money on the greaseable ones. I would recommend The ORD shackle flip with fresh bushings for your old springs. I don't think that they will contribute to axlewrap. I am running the ORD shackle flips along with 4" NON-tapered blocks and a 2" Skyjacker long add-a-leaf in my factory 1/2 ton springs. I have a welded D70 rear with 44" Swampers. The only axlewrap I get is the front springs.