Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some tranny advise

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChrisM72beast, Jun 25, 2001.

1. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I've got a decision coming up in the near future. I'm either going to live with my weak tranny or upgrade to a new one. The tranny I have got rebuilt by a mechanic who is a "non big truck" (that's his words) kind a guy. It has not had anywhere near the same pop as it had before it was rebuilt. It's rather lethargic and it might be a better idea to go with a four speed rather than this 350. Obviously I want an automatic.
    How much am I looking at either way and what do you guys think is smartest. Also I do drive a lot of freeway and high speed type of roads. Not much four wheeling except the snow which I do somewhat in the winter.
    Also, does anybody know a good mechanic familiar with k5s in southern cali-L.A., Valley area. I have one good one but what's wrong with some competition.

Thanks, Chris M

http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html

2. blue72K5

blue72K5 Newbie

chris, you'll be much better off staying with the 350 tranny, just have someone that know's what there doing rebuild it with a mild shift kit. you'll get tired of shifting the four speed, if your talking about a manual four speed. A four speed automatic won't be as strong without spending some serious cash.
    just my two cents.
    K.A.

3. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Your TH350 should be plenty strong enough for the set up you have. I have at 350 thats about 300hp followed buy TH350 with 3.73 Gears and 35 inch tires. To stay automatic your next choice to get a 4 speed would be the 700r4 which is a good tranny. The new models are but they had problems with them when they first started out. If you can find a used one it shouldn't be to much maybe a couple hundred. Its an inch and a half longer so you'll have to move some mounts and you'll need an adapter to match your NP205.
    Its not a small under taking but if you have the time and money I would do, but your Th350 should do you just fine.
    The Th400 is stronger than both the 350 and 700 but its still a 3 spd.
    Good luck I hope I helped some.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A>

4. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Chris M72,
    You might want to try rebuilding the tranny yourself if you have some tools and space to spread out. I bought the B&M Transkit for about $190. It has every part needed, step by step directions and photos for the novice to completely rebuild a TH350. I did it in about a week of part time fiddling. You can select shift firmness, put in extra clutch discs for high torque motors, etc.. So far, my trans works great! I'd recommend it if you like working on your own rig. JT