Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some Tranny Case questions..... Which one do i need? (or want)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

The tranny guy told me today that i had a 9 inch crack in my case, That case was just a normal case, No "K" on it

He then proceeded to tell me that if i want to K case, i need to get one out of a 78-79, because it is a "Non Lockup case" He said if i get any other k case, then i will have to buy a Kit so he can put my parts in there.... does anyone know, the difference in a 78-79 case, instead of Later K case years?... I thought that a case was a case... Thx.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am not sure on the years, but he is referring to a lock-up style 350. this means it has a torque converter that will lock in a 1:1 ratio w/ the flywheel to give u fewer rpm's at speed. these cases have electrical plugs on them, so just stay away from them.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll assume that you are using a TH350 . GM went to a lock-up version in the early eighties and the older cases ( around 1977 and older ) did not offer the thicker version with the dust cover that accepts the struts . There are differences between the cases ( lock-up and non- lock-up ) - Your tranny guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
    Good luck , Tom

4. Silver84k5

so i take it, its a good idea to get those struts right?

I had a dust cover with the two holes for the struts, and i put it on a th350 that only had 4 bolts for the dust cover, i just drilled out diff holes and ran it...

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

where is the crack?
    if the bell area look into aftermarket Ultrabell
    someone here did it.

6. Silver84k5

how do i put an after market bell on it? The whole case is one piece.or do you mean a whole aftermarket case?

Is it possible that the tranny was ggetting reaady to go out anyway, and it got real real hot, and that caused the crack? Cuz i Sure as hell dont have the horsepower to crack the case. i know this for a fact.