Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some Website Questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Asked before, they slipped by unnoticed

I'd like to rehost my web site at

http://phpwebhosting.com/index.html

So my questions are

1. Does this look like a good deal? I know at least one person here uses it

2. How do I go about transferring my domain, with a service that will remind me to renew, and not cost a bazillion dollars.

3. Just how does DNS registration work? What's the story morning glory

Well, off to work

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Looks like a fair plan, but I'm not really impressed by their web presence, doesn't really strike me. For a web hosting company, I think this is an important irony not to get caught in...

1. Looks like an OK deal. Not a good deal, but not a bad deal.
    2. Transferring your domain has to be done through your registrar, I think. I know for me, no matter who I host it with, I have to go back to who I bought the domain from to administer the name (basically, change the DNS servers).
    Looks like in your case, you'd have to call web-1 hosting.
    ----------------------
    Web-1 Hosting, LP, hostmaster@web-1hosting.net
    888-932-1467
    281-288-2339 (fax)
    http://www.web-1hosting.net
    Please contact support at Web-1Hosting.Net for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 18-Feb-2005.
    Record expires on 24-Mar-2006.
    Record created on 24-Mar-2003.

---------------------
    Basically, you set up your hosting plan and site, tell them what your domain name is or you want it to be, and they tell you the DNS server IP's. You give the IP's to the above people, and in 3 days, your domain is transferred.

3. DNS registration is kinda complicated to get into in a post... In a nutshell, server's all over the world store every domain name and the IP address of it's server. When you look for a site, the DNS server tries to find the IP address of that site in it's own database, or by asking other DNS servers if they know. Your domain admin has to provide some core DNS servers with the new ip address of your host, and those DNS servers will tell the rest of the worlds DNS servers what that new IP is. the process takes about 3 days.

If you're looking for other hosting recommendations, this is my web host, and I get cash (which I'd split with you) if you sign up through this link. :D :D

You can run PHP and you get crazy bandwidth and disk space... Although it's limited to 3gb disk space and 100gb transfer, as opposed to the company you asked about, which appears unmetered. I don't know if that's worth another $14 a year, though. Depends on your site and traffic I guess. Me personally, I use my site for all kinds of stuff, but barely tap 2gb transfer, and I'm probably never going to use more than 1gb of space on a web server.

They both look pretty fair, each has a perk or two over the other. Really comes down to whether you'd actually use those perks or not.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I own a design & hosting company, so I should be able to help.

It's really easy to change hosts.. You just put in the new server's 2 Name Servers into your domain registrar's profile. Transferring the domain is a little bit more involved. You just find a new registrar, initate the transfer through them, answer some ownership questoins about the domain and it takes a few days for it to complete

The hosting package looks OK. It's got all the good stuff that you can get from any other good Linux PHP host, but the thing that really sets webhosts apart is the Plesk control panel. Plesk (IMO) is the best control panel out there..... it's easy to use and very powerful.

It doesn't say what control panel they offer, but the bandwidth/storage for the price is hard to beat.

Hope that helps!

Mike

4. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, Ratchkins, I think I'mma go with your thinger, free transfer, oy!

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

This is a screenshot of the phpwebhosting.com control panel. phpwebhosting is just their name, not neccessarily (sic?) their purpose. They also allow shell access to your account, which I find extremely useful.

$10 a month really ain't that bad, and I've been using them for about a year now. I forget who I went with for my domain, however :( I need to renew it soon.

The thing I like most about their service is the bandwidth, I don't have to worry about watching my bandwidth for sudden spikes (fear the slashdot). I can hotlink to anything I host (images, videos, etc). They've got all 'standard' feature's I'd expect, PHP, MySQL, and ssh shell access.

screenshot.png

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Looks reasonable, but you can do better.

I host with a buddy of mine, http://www.xerex.us/ he can give you a much better deal. (And not just because he's my buddy, but because he ACTUALLY has better deals.)

I've has experience with lots of domain hosts, and my preference is http://www.godaddy.com Cheap, good service, auto-renew. Plus for small fees they have plenty of extras.

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well since were all pimping out webhost. I've been using www.dreamhost.com for over a year now and have been very happy
    same one in which ck5 is or at least was hosted on.

in the last year my benefits have tripled. and it's priced the same.

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Anything with a picture of a fat kid for advertisement has to rule! :bow:

9. Resurrection_Joe

I just had to go with godaddy

They had a deal, I get my domain transferred for a friggin dollar and registared for a year

So

$1 to transfer

$24 for six months of hosting with 5 gigs storage and 250 gigs bandwidth per month

I was paying $20 a MONTH for 1 gig storage and 10 gig transfer

Web-1hosting is immaculately polite and has great service, but I just saved $200 a year

Plus I can have a bounty hunter forum