Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some weird sounds... help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ACGs85K5, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ACGs85K5

ACGs85K5 Newbie

i have a 1985 k5 blazer, 305, and just last night it started making a weird clanking sound. it's not steady and i know it's not a lifter. it sounds like a clanging and it stops once in awhile. if you put something in a tin can and banged it around, it pretty much sounds like that. it doesnt not go with the engine speed. i looked for anything dangling and i saw nothing. im stumped. i also dont lose power, but the clanging is pretty noticeable while going slow/stopped.

edit- or it sounds like a pinging or a tinging. haha. it's also not quiet, it's pretty audible with the hood down and engine running. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Can you isolate where it's coming from? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif My first guess would be the u-joints in the rear driveshaft, but it's hard to tell at this point. Try raising the rear of the truck and with the tranny in neutral (with the wheels chocked of course!) see if there is any slop in the driveshaft.

3. ACGs85K5

ACGs85K5 Newbie

i guess i shoulda mentioned it sounds like it's coming from under the hood area. i know it isn't my ujoints. i've done those a few times. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif