Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some welding questions for the pro's!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jul 16, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Some welding questions for the pro\'s!!!

I am using a Marquette 135amp MIG.

1. What is a good pressure for the CO2?
    2. Why when laying a bead the weld POP's?
    3. On heavier material 1/8" and above, is it ok to do one continuos bead?

Any other pointers you pro's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, could pass along to a brotha?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Some welding questions for the pro\'s!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually the flow rate that you set and a good rule of thumb is 20-25. Lower if you are indoors, higher if outdoors.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be a lot of reasons.. Give us some more stats on the welder and of the following...

What wire you are using?
    What amperage are you set at?
    What wire speed are you set at?
    Is the work properly grounded?
    Is the work material clean?

Popping is caused by any one of those things listed not being properly set.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok to do one continuous bead on any material that can take it. It also depends on what you are welding. Will it see alot of torsional forces? If so then you'd want to stitch weld it so that it can still flex a bit (just like the ORD weld on frame repair kit)

Hope this helps... If not here are a few links on welding howto's...

Navy Steel Worker Manual

Lincoln MIG Welding Guide

There are plenty more out there if you look. Hope this helps...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Set the flow meter to 25-30 CFH while the wire is running.

The sound you should hear is a crackling like bacon frying on fast forward/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you have a lot of spatter try turning the wire speed down a bit.

One continuous pass on 1/8" is no problem. Anything much thicker than 3/16" and you will need to make it a multi-pass weld. Good root pass into the joint and then a two pass cover.

Here is something to look for at the welding supply place. A product called "spatter block". It usually comes in a spray can. Give the parts a light mist (don't soak them) and weld. The spatter that does stick will come off really easy with a scraper or the edge of a file. Much cleaner end product.

Rene

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually the flow rate that you set and a good rule of thumb is 20-25. Lower if you are indoors, higher if outdoors.
    <font color="red"> Ok, my regulator only goes up to 12; time for a new one! </font>

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be a lot of reasons.. Give us some more stats on the welder and of the following...

What wire you are using? <font color="red"> .035 </font>
    What amperage are you set at? <font color="red"> highest, so 135, the stuff i am welding is 1/4" plate to .120 tube </font>
    What wire speed are you set at? <font color="red"> set to like 2, does not pop at this speed </font>
    Is the work properly grounded? <font color="red"> good ground, located as close to the working area as possible </font>
    Is the work material clean? <font color="red"> all of the area's are hit with the grinder </font>

Popping is caused by any one of those things listed not being properly set.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok to do one continuous bead on any material that can take it. It also depends on what you are welding. Will it see alot of torsional forces? If so then you'd want to stitch weld it so that it can still flex a bit (just like the ORD weld on frame repair kit)

<font color="red"> currently i am making a tube &amp; plate crossmember setup for my Doubler </font>

Hope this helps... If not here are a few links on welding howto's...

Navy Steel Worker Manual

Lincoln MIG Welding Guide

<font color="red"> just printed the lincoln doc, working on the Navy Steel one. </font>

There are plenty more out there if you look. Hope this helps...

<font color="red"> Thanks for the input Waxer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Set the flow meter to 25-30 CFH while the wire is running.

The sound you should hear is a crackling like bacon frying on fast forward:) If you have a lot of spatter try turning the wire speed down a bit.

One continuous pass on 1/8" is no problem. Anything much thicker than 3/16" and you will need to make it a multi-pass weld. Good root pass into the joint and then a two pass cover.

<font color="red"> So, lay on weld on the joint and than lay 2 additional welds that cover the initial weld? </font>

Here is something to look for at the welding supply place. A product called "spatter block". It usually comes in a spray can. Give the parts a light mist (don't soak them) and weld. The spatter that does stick will come off really easy with a scraper or the edge of a file. Much cleaner end product.

<font color="red"> I don't get a lot of spatter, I was just trying to see if the bead would increase with the extra wire output. </font>

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For multi-pass welds:

Imagine a cut away view of the welded joint. The root pass would form a 45 degree angle where the two parts meet. The second pass would be on the lower plate and would overlap the root pass by 50% or more...this forms a 'shelf' for the third pass. Kinda like a pyramid...

Running extra wire without more voltage just leads to spatter, or even worse a lack of proper fusion. I wish some of these smaller home machines had output guages for voltage and amperage...

In general there are three types of 'transfer' across the arc. Short circuit whcih occurs up to about 22 volts, Globular transfer which happens from about 22 volts up to about 26 volts, and spray transfer which happens from 26 on up. You need an argon biased shield gas to get spray transfer.

Short circuit transfer is what sounds like bacon frying.

Globular transfer sounds gross, produces some ugly spatter and is something I avoid at all costs.

Spray transfer produces a hum with the ocassional crackle, very smooth weld (if your hands are steady) and provides the deepest penetration. The machine I'm currently using at work I run .035 microwire and a 92/8 mix of Argon and CO2. Voltage is set at 29.7 and amperage comes in around 180 or so. I can weld up to 1/2" plate without worry but could also do stuff as thin as 1/8" at this heat. The thin stuff at this heat would be a bit of an adventure...burning through 1/8" isn't that hard to do.

Rene

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Rene, you are like the father I never had. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif