Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some wiring questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok so I was into my dash to replace my speedo cable today and I found a few things amiss and a few things I'd like get done. BTW the PO did a number or two on the wiring... :rolleyes:

One thing is that I found a dark gray wire coming out of the main harness behind the dash gauges that had been cut and just dangles back there. I figured out that it gets power when the (dash) lights are turned on. What is it for? Is it for the t-case shifter running light?

Another thing is an orange wire with a connector on the end that runs out to the center of the dash with the harness for the little light that turns on to lightup the floor over the tranny hump. It gets a constant 12v source. I thought it was for my cigarette lighter, but I guess not because as soon as I hooked it up it blew a fuse. I found out the fuse was my horn fuse, WTF? Why is this wire connected to my horn, why is it in the middle of the dash just dangling there, and what is it for? Also what wire is for the cigarette lighter?

So I want to get my 4wd drive indacator idiot light working because there is about 1/2 the wiring there. The part thats missing is from the dash to the t-case where does it conect up in the dash?

And finally, on the t-case shifter for a running light, on the under side there is a hole for a bulb to go in there. But there is no wireing existing for it. Is that what that gray wire is for?

Kinda long, but any help with this would be very appresiated!

2. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. Chevy305

I figured out that the orange wire dangling behind my cigarette lighter is supposed to be for the cigarette lighter. But how come everytime I hook it up to the cigarette lighter I blow a fuse? I know I have the correct 20 amp fuse in there too.

Also the dark gray one is definately for a dash light of some kind. I will use that for a running light on my t-case shifter.

My only problem is that I couldn't find a 4wd indicator light anywhere in those wiring diagrams. :( Anyone know anyhting about how its wired up?

4. CB77GMC

All the 4wd indicator lights I've seen go from a ground to switch on TC then to light then key on power. As for cigarette lighter sounds like a bad cigarette lighter.

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Bad lighter socket.

6. Chevy305

but my cigarette lighter is brand new. I bought it back in August and I fried a wire when I installed it through an accessory port in the fuse box. Since then its just sat there next to ash try.

So maybe this one is just bad?

7. CB77GMC

Oops that's what I ment. :doah: :D