Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some words from Michael Moore

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TrcksR4ME, Jul 8, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

A lot of people don't like him, but he asks some tough questions and brings up the issues of our day that we should be talking about no matter what side we are on....

Anyways this is part of an email in regards to the Fahrenheit 9/11 movie (good movie that brought up serious issues BTW). I think this is worth reading, if you are willing to read it and not just post that you hate Michael Moore. I will probably not respond to this post so don't bother with the hate filled replies.

"News editors told us that they were being "bombarded" with e-mails and calls from the White House (read: Karl Rove), trying to spin their way out of this mess by attacking it and attacking me. Bush spokesman Dan Bartlett had told the White House press corps that the movie was "outrageously false" -- even though he said he hadn't seen the movie. He later told CNN that "This is a film that doesn't require us to actually view it to know that it's filled with factual inaccuracies." At least they're consistent. They never needed to see a single weapon of mass destruction before sending our kids off to die.

Many news shows were more than eager to buy the White House spin. After all, that is a big part of what "Fahrenheit" is about -- how the lazy, compliant media bought all the lies from the Bush administration about the need to invade Iraq. They took the Kool-Aid offered by the White House and rarely, if ever, did our media ask the hard questions that needed to be asked before the war started.

Because the movie "outs" the mainstream media for their failures and their complicity with the Bush administration -- who can ever forget their incessant, embarrassing cheerleading as the troops went off to war, as though it was all just a game -- the media was not about to let me get away with anything now resembling a cultural phenomenon. On show after show, they went after me with the kind of viciousness you would have hoped they had had for those who were lying about the necessity for invading a sovereign nation that was no threat to us. I don't blame our well-paid celebrity journalists -- they look like a bunch of ass-kissing dopes in my movie, and I guess I'd be pretty mad at me, too. After all, once the NASCAR fans see "Fahrenheit 9/11," will they ever believe a single thing they see on ABC/NBC/CBS news again?

In the next week or so, I will recount my adventures through the media this past month (I will also be posting a full FAQ on my website soon so that you can have all the necessary backup and evidence from the film when you find yourself in heated debate with your conservative brother-in-law!). For now, please know the following: Every single fact I state in "Fahrenheit 9/11" is the absolute and irrefutable truth. This movie is perhaps the most thoroughly researched and vetted documentary of our time. No fewer than a dozen people, including three teams of lawyers and the venerable one-time fact-checkers from The New Yorker went through this movie with a fine-tooth comb so that we can make this guarantee to you. Do not let anyone say this or that isn't true. If they say that, they are lying. Let them know that the OPINIONS in the film are mine, and anyone certainly has a right to disagree with them. And the questions I pose in the movie, based on these irrefutable facts, are also mine. And I have a right to ask them. And I will continue to ask them until they are answered.

In closing, let me say that the most heartening response to the film has come from our soldiers and their families. Theaters in military towns across the country reported packed houses. Our troops know the truth. They have seen it first-hand. And many of them could not believe that here was a movie that was TRULY on their side -- the side of bringing them home alive and never sending them into harms way again unless it's the absolute last resort. Please take a moment to read this wonderful story from the daily paper in Fayetteville, NC, where Fort Bragg is located. It broke my heart to read this, the reactions of military families and the comments of an infantryman’s wife publicly backing my movie -- and it gave me the resolve to make sure as many Americans as possible see this film in the coming weeks.

Thank you again, all of you, for your support. Together we did something for the history books. My apologies to "Return of the Jedi." We'll make it up by producing "Return of the Texan to Crawford" in November.

May the farce be with you, but not for long,"

Michael Moore
    www.michaelmoore.com
    mmflint@aol.com

2. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Wow thats objective. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif [robot voice] i believe everything moore tells me he does not lie because he said so.[end robot voice]. That [darn] conservative media always screwing with people. No hate here just disagreeing .For an alternative look --->bowling for truth

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

oncw again check your facts M MOORE is as wrong as wrong can be, the man obviously beleives that "sheeple can't make an informed decision, and that what he had to say was the truth, cuz he said it!only way to make an informed decision is say, here is this side, here is the other side, and the truth lies, (no pun intended) somewhere in the middle! just so we are straight, WHO THE FLYING F#@K IS MOORE CALLING THE "NASCAR FOLKS??? MOORE SUCKS GIANT DONKEY WEENIE!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Michael Moore for president! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Michael Moore for president! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

troll

Rene

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I love this, he's the King of twisting words.

[ QUOTE ]
    Every single fact I state in "Fahrenheit 9/11" is the absolute and irrefutable truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duuuhhh! If it's a FACT then of course it's true, silly! It's all the lies that I'm upset about! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I was taught in English many moons ago that a fact is something can be proven or disproven. That is different from being true. An opinion cannot be proven is disproven, and if it can be then it becomes a fact.

Thus, I can state as fact that Mars is 3,101 miles in diameter. You can look it up and see that I am wrong. The fact is wrong, but it is still a fact.

See the difference? Something tells me a lot of Michael Moore's facts are similar.

I will state as opinion that Michael Moore is a self-serving jackass. If he keeps making propaganda dressed as documentaries, that may soon become fact.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was taught in English many moons ago that a fact is something can be proven or disproven. That is different from being true. An opinion cannot be proven is disproven, and if it can be then it becomes a fact.

Thus, I can state as fact that Mars is 3,101 miles in diameter. You can look it up and see that I am wrong. The fact is wrong, but it is still a fact.

See the difference? Something tells me a lot of Michael Moore's facts are similar.

I will state as opinion that Michael Moore is a self-serving jackass. If he keeps making propaganda dressed as documentaries, that may soon become fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your definition, your definition of fact is a fact that is not true. By the actual definition, your definition of fact is not a fact at all. That is, unless you count a mistaken fact as a fact, but that is actually called fiction.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=define%3Afact
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fact
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fact
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=27507&dict=CALD

I found no definition even close to yours in any dictionary.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Teachers are fallable, to a great extent.......

What you make is a statement, when it is universally regarded as true, then it is infact, a fact.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I was about to blaim the public education system of the 80s, but I am sure that is how I learned it so....

[ QUOTE ]
    4. The assertion or statement of a thing done or existing; sometimes, even when false, improperly put, by a transfer of meaning, for the thing done, or supposed to be done; a thing supposed or asserted to be done; as, history abounds with false facts.
    I do not grant the fact.
    - De Foe.
    This reasoning is founded upon a fact which is not true.
    - Roger Long.

[/ QUOTE ]

from here - Webster dictionary

As ice cube says, bla-dow.

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one definition:
    [ QUOTE ]
    4. The assertion or statement of a thing done or existing; sometimes, even when false, improperly put, by a transfer of meaning, for the thing done, or supposed to be done; a thing supposed or asserted to be done; as, history abounds with false facts.
    I do not grant the fact.
    - De Foe.
    This reasoning is founded upon a fact which is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but I think this is what he meant. A fact can be false, or it can be applied wrong. RIGHT!!???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Let me try again.
    There are facts and there are opninions.
    Opinions cannot be proven or disproven by anyone.
    Facts can be proven or disproven. Even if they are wrong, they are still technically facts.

So although in day to day speech one would not states facts one knows to be false, technically a fact does not have to be true to be a fact. It merely has to be provable or disprovable.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

OK, so one definition out of about 20 possible ones is what you said, the rest say essentially that a fact is something that can be proven as true. You so got me, I am totally wrong and you are totally right. I am 0wn3d. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now could you please define "bla-dow" for me? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What the heck is the discussion here?

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Owned. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif That is funny.

16. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I love this, he's the King....

[/ QUOTE ]

see even Shaggy loves this moron.

****disclaimer below read on*****

Shggy i'm not trying to be an [darn] to you i was just using this to prove a point and that point is that you can take anything and call it fact if you pick and choose what part of something you want to show. so what if i left out the rest of what you said you still said what is quoted above and that is a FACT right. what i'm getting at here or at least trying to is you can use any part of a whole thing and show it in an incorrect way or out of context and that it happened it is a fact so you can mislead poeple and fill them with all kind of half truths without showing the whole of something right. so this [darn]bag is taking bits and pieces away from a whole thing and using it all together to try and lead poeple to his way of thinking .

Shaggy i'm really not trying to make you mad at me here just trying to use what you said to prove a point but i'm having a hard time forming thoughts right now because i want to get my buddy who just got back from Iraq with some of his 101st airborne buddys and take that fat piece of [darn] over there to iraq and show him what our boys there really think and then beat him to death or let those scum make a video titled the Decapitation of Trash praise allah! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif what trash moore is is unexplainable

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I love this, he's the King....

[/ QUOTE ]

see even Shaggy loves this moron.

****disclaimer below read on*****

Shggy i'm not trying to be an [darn] to you i was just using this to prove a point and that point is that you can take anything and call it fact if you pick and choose what part of something you want to show. so what if i left out the rest of what you said you still said what is quoted above and that is a FACT right. what i'm getting at here or at least trying to is you can use any part of a whole thing and show it in an incorrect way or out of context and that it happened it is a fact so you can mislead poeple and fill them with all kind of half truths without showing the whole of something right. so this [darn]bag is taking bits and pieces away from a whole thing and using it all together to try and lead poeple to his way of thinking .

Shaggy i'm really not trying to make you mad at me here just trying to use what you said to prove a point but i'm having a hard time forming thoughts right now because i want to get my buddy who just got back from Iraq with some of his 101st airborne buddys and take that fat piece of [darn] over there to iraq and show him what our boys there really think and then beat him to death or let those scum make a video titled the Decapitation of Trash praise allah! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif what trash moore is is unexplainable

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad at all, this is EXACTLY what MM does. It is a fact that I said that, but it's totally out of context. Excellent example. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's what I like about this country, every has the freedom of speech, even the ones who really need a case of 2x4itis to the head like Michael Moore.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

What exactly is a case of 2x4s? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What exactly is a case of 2x4s? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2x4itis? It's a relative rare disease, but when present, it can be diagnose by the sound of lumber connecting with the cranial area of the human in a loud and powerful manner.