Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some1 try to explain this to me

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Sep 11, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

why does it seem like, especially lately ive been seeing a buncha trucks with detroit locker fronts and arb rears? isnt that kinda opposite what you should think? i mean when i get more cash /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i was plannin on a detroit locker rear and a arb front so itd drive half decent on the road. But it seems like alot lately ive seen all kinds of 4wd's with detroit lockers up front and arb's in the rear...........why?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My friends Sami is like that.He put the ARB in the back cuz he drives in snow and ice sometimes and he can turn it off and on as need be.Ya cant do that with a Detroit /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i know the detroit is supposedly bad in snow and all but wouldnt it be the same on the front? i mean still drive like crap in the snow with the detroit up front? (prolly dumb question and ill be like DOH!!!!!! when some1 answers this one)

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

In 2 wheel drive there's no power to the front, so they just roll along and the detroit unlocks when in turns, so the effect should be minimal in 2. In 4 you still get the benefit of the locker. I may be talking out my arse here, so if I'm wrong, someone please let me know.
    Thanks

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

With decent tires you can get around in the snow, at least here in Denver without running 4 wheel drive. Also if you have front wheel drive option and cutting brakes the ARB would let the rear free wheel better than a detroit would.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Growing up I Winnipeg Manitoba(winterpeg as we like to call it) we have alot of snow there.I drove a Chevette.If I got suck I'd just pick it up and move it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i had a 2 wheel drive subaru hatchback and i could get out of any stuck i got into by lifting the rear end and moving it.i lived in alaska and i could go more places with that car than some 4x4's.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

subaru made a 2wdr?

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, DOH time. for some reason (maybe being it never snows here) i associate snow with runnin 4wd all the time, forget that those of us who drive in it more than once every 5 yrs might have skill in it unlike those of us down here in NC. Serious, second one flake falls, switch on ur radio, and bryan stickley, "Yes Independence boulevard has 56 fender benders in the past 20 mins" Yeh...... Alright yalls responses explains it

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep.my subaru was an 86 hatchback 2 door model.i 2 wheeled with the trucks in 4 wheel and still made it to a lot of places nobody thought a car would go.i had that car coated with mud all the time.i did have to get pulled from the mud pit sometimes but hey i didnt have the money for a truck.this was also my first vehicle si i got what first came along that i could afford.

11. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

I also run a mechanical locker in the front. In the snow I only lock one hub

12. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

On alot of K5's the front hubs are automatice, so you can run a locker and it not matter when it is in two wheel drive. The automatic hub free wheel, so the locker only turns slightly because the gear in the tcase always turns to it, but it only has drive power when in 4WD. So you have the benefits of an open differential when in 2WD and a Locker in 4WD. Same thing goes for the ARB out back. It is truelly a open diff when it is not locked. The benefits are no abnornal tire wear because of the locked diff. IF your think about going with an ARB, don't. I have friends that own a shop, and all they do is lift vehicles, convert t cases to the teralow systems, and put in lockers. They have personally told me that they wouldn't run ARB locker if someone paid them. If you want that opinion from them check ot the forns on Crawltech Offroad Yes they are primarily jeep guys, but they know there stuff when it comes to driveline components. This big black cherokee on the front page is one of the owners, and that thing will go through some serious stuff.