Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody had got to know!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickshooter, Apr 20, 2003.

1. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

I posted a while back under the heading "blowing oil out of the breather". Since then my problem has gotten worse, I'm now blowing oil violently out of the front of the engine to the extent of about a quart every three or four miles. Here's the details.

1: Less than 5000 miles on a remanufactured engine

2: Non baffled Holley valve covers with extra thick cork gaskets, multiple types of breathers tried with and without baffled grommets in passenger side vlv cover near firewall. Current breather is in with a baffled grommet.

3: PCV valve in drivers side front of engine with baffled grommet. Valve is new and functioning as designed.

4: Oil pressure pegs the needle, over 60 psi, at anything over an idle. I replaced the pump when I put the engine in and I thought that I asked for a stock pump, can't remember.

5: Valves and lifters, etc. visually inspected for any abnormalities when valve covers last removed. Oil drain holes in heads checked for blockage as well.

Just finished this morning:

1: New STOCK oil pump

2: Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket installed as per instructions

3: New cast aluminum timing chain cover with new gasket and new front seal.

4: Cleaned and degreased engine after assembly.

I'm still blowing oil out of the front of the engine. It's all over the bottom half of the engine and all over the harmonic ballancer. Oil pressure with the new pump still pegs the needle at anything over an idle. This pump was a GM part from NAPA so it should fall within design specs. Doesn't seem quite as bad as it was but I only drove it down the road about a mile and back and it's still bad enough that I'd probably empty the oil pan within 50 miles.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where are you blowing oil out of the front? If it's coming out of the seal for the crank then it HAS to be crank case pressue and not oil pressure. The only oil in there is oil running fown the timming chain. The nearest oil under pressure is the first crank jounal on the oposite side of the timming chain so about 1.5-2 inches away.

This will sound stupid but are you shure you don't have to much oil in the thing. Possibly got the wrong dipstick or it's not seated correctly? I could see that blowing oil up the dip stick tube and the oil pilied agains the crank causing some to be pushed out.

If your sure you have the correct amount of oil in it then do a compression check. Maybe one of the compression rings is cracked and your getting excessive blow by.

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

just a shot in the dark, but i think i remember reading about a bolt in the right front bottom of the engine, that is taken out during block prep for rebuilding, and if not put back in, blows oil out the hole; but would not really help your pressure problem /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Actually you may be on the right track. I had a camaro that started blowing oil out the front real bad. It turned to be a hole that is right where the fuel pump pushrod is (in fact some engine builders will put a longer bolt in it to hold fuel pump pushrod up while installing fuel pump) You should really check this, I would lose a quart of oil in about 20 miles out this little hole. Just make sure not to put to long of a bolt in that it contacts the fuel pump pushrod. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    just a shot in the dark, but i think i remember reading about a bolt in the right front bottom of the engine, that is taken out during block prep for rebuilding, and if not put back in, blows oil out the hole; but would not really help your pressure problem /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    GOOD POINT!
    The hole is used for holding the push rod up for the mechanical fuel pump when you need to change a pump. It will pump out oil big time if there is not a bolt in it. When not being used you install a 3/8s by 1/2 inch bolt in there as a plug. When changing the pump you use a 1 inch bolt wfinger tight. Wrap the threads with some teflon tape if you find it missing.

Looking at the front of the engine the bolt hole will be on the front of the block just to the left (passengerside) of the timming chain cover a couple inches up from the bottom of the block.

6. stickshooter

The dip stick extends below the crank as observed when the oil pan is off and the last test drive was done about 1/2 qt low.

Compression on all cylinders is about 145lb +/- a couple of pounds on a gauge that I think reads about 5lbs low compared to other peoples guages.

I'm about to go look for that hole!

Thanks.

Any other ideas?

7. stickshooter

I might have found it!

I went looking for that hole and I don't think I found that one but I did notice that there's two empty holes left from where I just removed the smog pump. It's been inoperative for a while, but the bearings were going bad so I decided to remove it. There's more oil right there than any where else. I'm going to plug those and look again for the fuel pump hole.

Thanks

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as far as pcv system goes- as long as you have a pcv valve connected by hose to manifold vacuum source for one valve cover and for the other cover need a filtered return hole for air to get back intot he crankcase thatt he pcv is sucking out

this problem exists on a friend's 90 mercury LTD with 302 FI in it, the thing pushed out so much blowby that it wouldnt keep dipstick tubes and it blew intake gaskets left and right, etc, found out that its a common ring problem on 90s 302 engine, engine needs rebuild even tohugh runs fine but damn you gotta keep eye on that oil level, or..........

fords.... sheesh. still couldnt get their engiens right not evne in the 90s yet.

your 145 or 150 psi cylinder pressure is good and correct for a good shape chevy engine, plus or minus 20% between highest and lowest readings is good according to GM specs, so i am thinking is not valve or ring related cause

maybe its something as dumb as timing cover or front oil pan seal or balancer seal installed incorrectly? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck

9. stickshooter

Re: Somebody has got to know!!

I stopped the oil coming out of the front, it was one of the bolt holes that was used for the smog pump bracket.

However,

I'm still blowing oil out of the breather so bad, it's dripping on the headers, after about a block the whole truck is smoking. Oil pressure with the new pump is still pegging the needle at 60+

I don't know what else to do???!!

10. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Is 60 lbs that bad? Mines been there since the engine was new 4k miles ago. It idles @ 40-45. My stock motor was 15-20 idle and 45 in drive @ 215k miles

11. stickshooter

The stock engine doesn't have a breather. What if I block the breather and go with just the PCV?

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i think you need an intake (breather usually on the right valve cover, either a hose going to the air cleaner assembly or breather if aftermarket) and exhaust, (usually pcv; positive crankcase ventilation; on the left side valve cover consisting of the pcv valve and going to a vacuum port on the carb); the pcv valve is a check valve, it seems you are having too much crankcase pressure and creating the blow-by,

as for the 60 pounds, i would not think that is excessive