Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody help me Im a idiot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudrunner78, Dec 31, 2001.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

ok, heres the deal I put my new 383 in my truck in may before I left for kosovo, well I just added the little bit of anti-freeze that I had, yep you know where this is going. Well I went to kosovo returned home been really busy and not driving the truck since I am in the process of building my suspension. Well came home last night from visiting familt, and low and behold my radaitor was a block of ice, checked my freeze plugs they seem to be intact. No holes in the block as of yet. Well now to the question how do I get the ice out of the block. I took off all the hose's and the drain on the bottom of the block, ran a garden hose to the block (themostat housing) and seem that the block is thawed out. left the drain plug out on the bottom of the block, whats next, I need not start the truck for quite some time, what should I do? Thanks for helping me out. Jesse

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Got a small portable gas grill or camp stove? Let one of them run for an hour or so underneath the engine, then drain the water out of the block. Replace all drain plugs and refill with anitfreeze and hope for the best! The fact that your core plugs didn't pop is a fairly good sign, but it doesn't totally eliminate the possibility of internal engine damage. The factory doesn't put those holes there to prevent freeze damage. They are there so the factory can remove the casting sand after the engine block is made. It just happens that when the block freezes, the core plugs often pop out, so most people call them freeze plugs.

I'd be very surprised if your radiator doesn't have one or more new leaks. [​IMG] It's made from pretty thin metal.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. mudrunner78

ok, I don't have a grill or campstove, I belive I got most of the water out of the block, can I close it up and leave it as is, or should I try to fill with a 50/50 mix, the water from the hose did a prettey good job, but I know my radatior is shot, heater core is also shot, I think the block is ok, but again I might have an internal crack or a cracked head. I still can't belive I did that. I don't have the money to build another motor, all my truck money has come from the 383's I sell(and nobody wants any more motors). But I never have had one freeze. on me. should I take the plugs out of the heads also.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you don't plan on starting or driving it just leave the block empty. I recently did something similar...I never got around to winterizing my travel trailer. In fact I never gave it a second thought til we went camping the following summer. I plugged it in the first night, attached the water and turned on the tap. I had water coming out of every cracked hose in the entire plumbing system, burst hot water heater tank...it was a mess. I felt a little stupid to say the least.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

did you just dump anti-freeze in, or did you turn it no to mix it at all? I'm wondering if you have a better mixture of the right stuff down in your block then you anticipate? (cross your fingers)

go get a forced air heater (runs on diesel #1 or kerosine) and set it on something so the blows through your grill... those things circulate a LOT of air, and produce some pretty good heat!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. mudrunner78

its been mixed, see I was running out of time before I deployed to kosovo, ran the motor enough to break in the cam, and thats about it, but I didn't put near enough antifreeze in it. I think I am just going to pull the motor and put it in my buddies garage, till the suspension is on, and the axles back under it.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you drain the block refill it with 50/50. Not having anything in there is more likely to cause rust and corrosion problems.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>