Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody learn me about wireless internet

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTBLAZER89, Feb 27, 2005.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK I am gonna get a laptop tonight or tomorrow. I need to know about wireless. How good does it work, and what do I need. I have a DSL modem...I told them I would use wireless soon so they sent me the right modem for it. What else do I need. The laptop comes with this wireless card. Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) I don't know what the numbers mean is this an ok card? The other option is a 1450 card. What else do I need to make it work with the modem I have now and a laptop with that wirelss card?

This is the DSL modem I have
    http://www.2wire.com/?p=112

Thanks

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a Linksys wireless router, it works great with my two laptops and my Dell Axim x50v PDA and the desktop. Pretty much Plug n Play for Windows XP!

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

anybody else?:)

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Netgear wireless. You can get it pretty cheap at circut city and is real easy to stet up,works good with any MS OS except Win 95.Even if you have diferent OS on your machines Mine works all around my house and even way out in my shop. And it is a metal building too.

Beings yo already have a wireless card all you need is the wireless router/transmitter. When you get one be sure to at least password protect your network. Or better yet assign your computers on your LAN a MAC address.Otherwise anyone with a wireless card can access and log into your network. Also be sure you set up a good firewall.

The card you got is a basic wireless card. Get the 802.11G if you can. It should be fine for most internet needs. If you need a faster card for a lot of downloading or games ECT. Then upgrade the card

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Looks to me like all you need is the card with that modem, dont even need a router. The card looks like its a G card, more range, more speed. All you should have to do is turn the computer on and let it recognize the router, at most you would have to install a driver or configure it, but im betting it would work right out of the box, so long as your modem is broadcasting.

Im happy with my Linksys setup i have here, even though im on the 802.11B wireless, i still get reception all over my house. I live in a decent sized ranch, the router is on one end of the house, and im on the other. It has to pass through 3 walls, two of which are external with aluminum siding, and im about 50 ft away. Still works great.

Congrats on going wireless, nothing like surfing the net from an easy chair, your porch, garage, or rooftop.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I see you updated your post.

That router you have is a wireless router. There should be an icon in your tray for your wireless card or find it in your programs list. Open it up and click on "Enable" it should search for a signal configure its self yo the router and connect automaticly if the router is not protected or encripted.
    Thats how mine works. I can hook up on wireless networks all over town. no one protects their networks. :confused: . I have even loged on to other people routers. if I was an A$$ hole I could change all their configuration and password protect it and really screw things up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Also forgot to add you might need to configure your internet browser for an eithernet connection. If it is set up for a 56K modem, click the "Never dial a connection" Button. Or use the set up wizzard.