Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody PLEASE SAVE THIS TRUCK

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I bought my 83 6.2 off an older gent 6 years ago. The truck was absolutely mint in and out and only had 57000 miles on it.

Anyhow, he upgraded to an 97 GMC 3/4 ton Ext. cab 4x4. He was planning on buying a bigger trailer and wanted a bigger truck for the job. I always told him that when he was ready to get rid of it to phone me because I knew I'd be buying a like-new truck.

To my absolute dismay, he phoned today to tell me that he is selling it. He just turned 68 and doesn't like camping that much anymore. I can't afford to buy it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif because I just bought my rec property last year, but if you are in the market for an extended cab you won't find a nicer truck out there. It is fully loaded and is immaculate in and out with only 12000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif miles on the truck.

Best of all for you folks south of the border, he's asking $30,000 CDN which works out to about $22500 USD. Believe when I tell you that you won't find a cleaner truck with low miles ANYWHERE for that kind of money.......

Plus I'd really like to see someone I know become the owner since it's not in the budget for me...... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$22,000 for a 6, almost year old truck that has been used for towing?

Seriously dude, what are you thinking? Thats a $13-15,000 truck max.

www.kbb.com agrees with me too.

1997 Chevrolet 2500 Pickup Extended Cab Short Bed

Engine: V8 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 12,000

Equipment
    Silverado
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    AM/FM Stereo
    ABS (4-Wheel)

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
    "Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Private Party Value $13,190
    Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

3. Can Can

Black book value means nothing when you deal with a man like him, trust me. I guess I should have included a few more details because he has done some pretty nice upgrades to the rig. FYI, a local dealer was willing to give him $27,500 CDN if he traded it in. Does it sound like a $13,000 truck to you NOW, fawkchop?

Besides, I posted this in case there were any people SERIOUS about acquiring a truck in BETTER than showroom condition. I wasn't looking for comments from idiots like you........

Go study some law with your mom..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like he was stupid not to trade it. I, myself, cannot understand why you'd pay more for a vehicle than it is worth.

It's only a truck. You speak of it like it's a living being or something. If it was totalled tomorrow in a horrible accident, the insurance value would be right at or possibly even lower than the price I gave you, and the bank sure as hell wouldn't loan you $22k on a truck that old.

Fawkchop or not, that's not a $22k truck and he can dream on. Nobody falls in love with a vehicle that much, I don't care who owned it.

You took such offense to what I said that you have resorted to name calling. Wow, that's real mature. I hope you're proud of your comments. I'll just crawl into my hole now. Apparently I'm a moron for not having more love for some hunk of metal than something that can actually return it...

Everybody, jump on this one!! This truck is so well cared for that it's worth what you could buy two of them for!!

5. Can Can

Oh my, it must be nice living in your little world. "The book says it's worth this much, so that's all I'll pay." You are missing the point here, lad- there is a certain value associated with buying a next-to-new vehicle from someone you know treats their vehicle like a "person". The old man in question is one of these people. When I picked up my 83 6.2 I started getting offers from people the NEXT DAY and still do to this day.

[ QUOTE ]
    the insurance value would be right at or possibly even lower than the price I gave you, and the bank sure as hell wouldn't loan you $22k on a truck that old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard of a process called an "appraisal"? Go to your little Black Book and tell me how much my stock 84 K5 in "Excellent shape" is worth. Now ask me why my insurer has agreed to cover it for $10200 CDN. It's because they have determined that mt truck is worth that if it were totalled because it's in EXCELLENT shape. Black Book values mean nothing if your truck is appraisal worthy.

[ QUOTE ]
    Nobody falls in love with a vehicle that much, I don't care who owned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Apparently you've never had the opportunity to be in a situation like I'm in right now. Do you think I would be wasting my time making a post like this if I didn't think the truck was worthy of it? You just don't have a clue...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Now, please, go crawl into that hole you mentioned. You'd be doing us all a favor.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll just crawl into my hole now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok this needs to stop here /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif how about if you both stop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif he thinks the price is to high you think its worth it neither one of you is wrong so lets let it drop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cat fight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok this needs to stop here /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif how about if you both stop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif he thinks the price is to high you think its worth it neither one of you is wrong so lets let it drop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    neeener, neeener, neeeeeeennnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    youuuuuuu got in troooouuuuubllllllllllle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

The value of the truck is what someone is willing to pay. If he can only sell it for 10bucks by god its only worth 10bucks OR if some one drops A couple Million no matter what a book says or how much you like it. Kelly Blue Book is there for a reason, yet it is only a guide. I know its says my truck is worth $25 but i think most people around here would agree it is worth a little bit more.

In short you both look like asshats and are wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Agreed. I paid $6500 for my K30 knowing the book value today is only worth around $3500.

Its knowing what the vehicle is worth to yourself that makes it worthwhile asking/selling for more than book values go for.

The fact we all know the K30's have the D60's is reason enough that everyone jacks up the prices on the trucks, way beyond the book value, and everyone still pays XXX-amount of dough for them, too. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I payed $1400 for mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. thatK30guy

Back when I bought the K30, the book value was a little higher, around $5800 at that time, 7 years ago. Today it has dropped considerably to around the $3000 range. I could still sell the truck for the same what I paid for it in a heartbeat. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

BTW, "payed" is actually spelled "paid". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

blue book dont mean [I love Jeeps] on old trucks....the bb on my blazer was 3000 and i sold it for twice that

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    blue book dont mean [I love Jeeps] on old trucks

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, "payed" is actually spelled "paid". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

S***ty speller or not, you're still the only guy I know to buy a running/driving K30 cheaper than me!!

17. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

S***ty speller or not, you're still the only guy I know to buy a running/driving K30 cheaper than me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually, I've "payed" less than what I paid for my '85 for other K30's before. $4000 was paid for the Brown Turd POS and sold back out for the same amount without the D60 since it locked up. But thats another story there. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess it all has to do with location of where you live and the population. Here in my parts is a small farming community. Farmers go thru trucks like shoes. Wear them out and get another one later. I'm just there to scrape up the dead ones for slim pickings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif