Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody please school me on Brake Lines...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just took out my D44 and put in my DRW D60 and did the 52" Spring swap w/ relocated shackles...so I should have A TON of flex /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Now I need brake lines to accomodate this. What is the best and cheapest rout to go? I hate stainless steel brake lines... the lines are tough but the ends suck and come off all the time.
    Does anyone know where I can get a RUBBER brakeline that will work w/ this application?
    I remember someone saying one time about longer brakelines at NAPA using a diff part #, but I can't find the post.
    Are 10 bolt and D60 brakelines the same?
    I would really like some rubber lines for a K30 w/ a 12" lift...but I can't find any /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Any help????
    Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You driving this on the road? If not I can hook you up with some bad ass hydraulic lines in any size and length you want, and they'll be PERFECT, just not DOT legal.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey Tim, when I finish my k5, I'll take you on that offer... for the brake lines... and I won't be driving on the road with it. I'll PM you when I am ready.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Doesn't get driven on the road much at all... but does go from the house to the trail occasionally. I don't really care if they are DOT legal or not...most of my truck isn't. How much for a set???

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't be able to pull the ends off a made-up braided brake hose. I'm guessing you've pulled the ends off those ready made one sold. That's no surprise. The tube btwn the nut/flare and the hose is TINY!

Maybe you're done with braided, but if you're willing to give them another try I can talk you thru making your own. It's not hard and the ease of a trail repair is far better than any other option.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't get driven on the road much at all... but does go from the house to the trail occasionally. I don't really care if they are DOT legal or not...most of my truck isn't. How much for a set???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can do $60 a pair shipped to your door +/- $10.

Let me know exactly what length you need, I'm not going to promise you can have them in less than three weeks as I am not willing to go through the liability of assembling them and I will have them custom ordered the way you want them.

I think I'm going to make mine 35" long and if you order a set I'll order up both sets at the same time.

This will be teflon hose which is braided but has no rubber internally to chafe and potentially leak. It is a hydraulic assembly and capable of 3-4 times the working pressure that a brake system is capable of producing.

Most likely it will be -3 in size (3/16) with whatever kind of fittings you desire already on it.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT DOT legal and for "Off road use only".

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

what about running the brake lines down the spring? then you dont have to worry about how much droop you have /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Why not just plug one hole in your porportion valve, then run the other to the center of your axle. From there, split it to both sides. Just like a FJ 40. (Im sure that there is other vehicles, it just came to mind first). Typically the center of your axle dosnt move much. Then run hard lines to the end of your axles then back to rubber.
    That will be my next line of attack.....

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Center drop is a great idea also, I would rather just extend my lines so I'm going that route.

10. white-rhyno

I watched a buddy of mine take the end off his stainless brakelines last weekend. Makes me wonder how mine have lasted so long...... Could be cause they were to short and the flex killed him,
    what do you think?
    [​IMG]

If you look close i think the line is tight, if not a tree reached out and grabbed it.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I watched a buddy of mine take the end off his stainless brakelines last weekend. Makes me wonder how mine have lasted so long...... Could be cause they were to short and the flex killed him,
    what do you think?
    [image]

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/4313Berto112.jpg[/image]

If you look close i think the line is tight, if not a tree reached out and grabbed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think brake hoses make really shitty limiting straps.

12. white-rhyno

Yea, he knows that now.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea, he knows that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically what I was saying is that I think he ripped them apart that way.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If anybody else would like a set of these lines, let me know now. I think there is a two set minimum and I'm ordering two sets now, but the next time anyone may want a pair, they're going to have to wait until I can hit the dollar figure required for them unless anybody is ready right now.

No pressure or anything, I'm going to order me a set and the original poster a set, but if anybody else is ready, I can have them all made at the same time and it will much simplify this stuff.

These are custom length, any size you want teflon braided hoses and banjo adapters to bolt them up to your calipers. Both of the sets I've ordered will be 3/16 inverted flare at the frame end and -3 AN on the other with a 45* angle up, along with some 10mm metric banjo to -3 AN adapters.

Although not DOT legal for the road, for those of you with trailer queens like I have, these are going to be awesome.

I can have them made super short for rear disc brake applications as well.

REMEMBER, these are not DOT legal.......