Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Somebody remind me why i want to pull my 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Nov 22, 2004.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yesterday, i think i fell back in love with this motor. I have been hunting for a cheap 4bt to replace my tired 6.2, but now i once again dont know what im going to replace it with.

Made the trip down to the Badlands, in Attica Indiana yesterday for a small run. I had filled up the evening before, and went out that night. Our three rigs caravaned down there, and following my buddy maintained a nice steady 60mph the whole way. After 130 miles had passed on this tank, the gauge had just fallen past full. We wheeled from ~9:45 to 3:15. I never shut the truck down, let it just run all day. We wheeled roughly 6 miles. By the end of the day, i was closing in on the 7/8ths mark on the gauge. After driving about 40 miles back, we stopped for fuel. My truck took 9 gallons /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. 9 gallons. 175 miles, 5 and a half hours of wheeling, and i burned only 9 gallons.

This wasnt even the best part of the day for me. We had 3 rigs, a VERY built samurai creation on 38.5" SX's, a relatively stock Dakota with a 318 and 32" AT's, and me in the K5 on Q78 TSL's. As we pulled into the big sand box, the kid in the Zuk decided to hop in with me and we would see how the old truck did in the sand. I think i had what, on paper, would be a terrible combination in sand, big heavy truck, skinny TSL's, and a 220K miles diesel with no turbo. We both expected it to sink like a rock when it started to dig, or just run out of power and get stopped dead. As i get ready to do my first hill climb, a showroom clean crew cab dodge pulls up, with "diesel power" and "powered by Cummins" stickers all over it, Bling 20 or 22" rims and what looked like 35" AT's. We laugh at the stickers and rims and i start my first run. Pulled the whole hill with zero problems, other than the massive cloud of unburnt fuel pouring from my exhaust. I found rev limiter on that run as she downshifted at the top. As we head back down to try a steeper hill, we hear the dodges turbo spooling hard as we look over and see it stopped dead in its tracks, not even half way up. I play arround on other hills for a bit, and we keep watching the dodge fail every time he tries the hill. At this point i decide its time to be a complete and total [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I pull back arround to the hill as the dodge starts what would become its last attempt at the hill. As he gets about 1/4 way up, i mash the pedal. I blew past him about 2/3 of the way up just as he was slowing down, leaving him to suck on my exhaust. They backed back down, and headed back towards the quarry. I had a grin on my face for the next two hours.

Cummins power my ass.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am quite sure a lack of power was not his problem.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It shouldnt have been, but he never dug down and burried itself, the truck always just stopped. By the time i hit the top i was halfway up the sidewall on a 36" TSL from them digging. Whether it was a 6 speed and he didnt know how to drive or whatever his problem was, he never pulled the hill, and he never burried it.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I am quite sure a lack of power was not his problem.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly. Something was either wrong with it, didn't know how to drive, or had a bad mismatch of parts. No offence, but a dodge cummins could kill a 6.2 K5 as long as it is setup right. They are heavy as hell and will sink easily if not driven or setup right. No one could beat a friend of mine at Pismo Beach last year....with yes.....a completely bombed to the moon cummins dodge on 315 Xterrains, no gay bling bling 20's there. Oh and he has a couple "I'd rather be cummins than strokens" and "cummins power" stickers too. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Cummins power! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So why do you want to pull the 6.2? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe the CTD truck just had bad wheelhop problems? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Read my second post. And the heavy as hell, a crew cab diesel dodge has less than 1000 pounds on me, based on its curb weight and what i put down on the scale. He should have had every advantage over me in the sand, but for some reason it wouldnt pull the hill, and it wasnt because he was burrying it.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

My 6.2 is getting tired, compression is low in two cylinders, not real bad, but one is ~275, other is ~280. Rest are over 300. Trans isnt exactly fresh either, it has 220K miles on it. I was planning on replacing both at the same time, either with a 4bt/465 or NV4500, or a 6.5TD/NV4500. I hate the auto, especially when wheeling.

But it still treats me so good!!

And no, he wasnt having wheelhop problems. It was just crapping out.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like he picked too high a gear /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Read my second post. And the heavy as hell, a crew cab diesel dodge has less than 1000 pounds on me, based on its curb weight and what i put down on the scale. He should have had every advantage over me in the sand, but for some reason it wouldnt pull the hill, and it wasnt because he was burrying it.

[/ QUOTE ] How heavy are you? I haven't weighed my dodge cummins yet but I have heard they are easily 7,500 lbs.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Last time i weighed it it tipped 5800 pounds, without spare, tools, spare parts or 1/2 tank of fuel, but with me in the drivers seat. Loaded for a road trip and wheeling i put it at 6200 pounds. And it isnt even 1 ton yet. Curb weight for a crew cab shortbed Cummins is only 6850. He had most of his stuff back on the trailer that he towed the quads there on. I know hes still gonna have a load in it with fuel, driver and whatever else he had in it, but i didnt see anything excessive iside, and the bed was empty.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Last time i weighed it it tipped 5800 pounds, without spare, tools, spare parts or 1/2 tank of fuel, but with me in the drivers seat. Loaded for a road trip and wheeling i put it at 6200 pounds. And it isnt even 1 ton yet. Curb weight for a crew cab shortbed Cummins is only 6850. He had most of his stuff back on the trailer that he towed the quads there on. I know hes still gonna have a load in it with fuel, driver and whatever else he had in it, but i didnt see anything excessive iside, and the bed was empty.

[/ QUOTE ] Hmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif....well then.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

My '98 CTD weights in at 7140lbs with full tank of fuel and just me. Throw on some mud tires, recovery equipment and more people and 8K comes around pretty quick.

I went to silver lake sand dunes with my CTD this summer. Running 33x13.50-15 Mickeys, I'd take on any 6.2/6.5TD on a uphill sand drag.
    Heck, those gassers I passed even looked twice /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

And im sure you could run most 6.2/6.5's into the ground. I doubt i could even pull test hill without putting my AT's back on.

This wasnt meant to be a pissing match, which is where its headed. If i didnt think the cummins was a good motor, i wouldnt be hunting for a 4bt. This guy just reminded me so much of a silly ricer with all the stickers and Bling i had to post about it. Especially since after he got passed by a clanky old 6.2 he turned arround and left. IT had at least one "powered by Cummins" or "diesel power" or a sticker to that effect on every body panel and window.

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

good post . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif RJF needs to lay off the cummins exhaust .

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

This wasnt meant to be a pissing match, which is where its headed.....This guy just reminded me so much of a silly ricer with all the stickers and Bling i had to post about it. Especially since after he got passed by a clanky old 6.2 he turned arround and left. IT had at least one "powered by Cummins" or "diesel power" or a sticker to that effect on every body panel and window.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point now. Those 20-22" rims on just 35s or less don't do anything for floatation, IMO. Not enough sidewall, but that's what the mall cruisers want. Good chance they aren't even aware of airing down the tires for loose soil conditions.

Speaking of decals, my '98 has a (big)24V power wagon sticker on it from the previous owner, and it's a 12V!

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    good post . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif RJF needs to lay off the cummins exhaust .

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif You obviously don't own a cummins.....