Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

somebody's knockin, should I let him in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Jan 19, 2004.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

somebody\'s knockin, should I let him in?

I had that familiar little hampster knock in the engine compartment that is normally associated with an exhaust leak. So, I replaced the header gasket on the passenger side. A little while later, I noticed it was knocking again, so this time I bought some copper gaskets and red rtv. Deciding to not be a lazy a$$ again, I did both sides, thread-locked the bolts and put those nifty header lock washers on there, checked the header flange for any warping, and bolted it all down snug. Waited about 6 hours and drove it. To my complete and utter dismay, it was still knocking. I was about to take the sawzall to the headers when I decided to learn from my past mistakes (see cdrom destruction to find a bad ide cable) and listened for the knocking. It wasn't the exhaust at all, but rather the water return from the heater to the block. It was like it was sucking or something, causing a knocking sound. It vibrated the return hose when it would "suck". So I thought, heck, I just added antifreeze, but let's check again. I opened it up and there was plenty of antifreeze. I thought I would top it off to be safe, and added another 1/3 of a gallon. So, now that I have babbled on quite long enough to paint the picture, what the heck is causing the knocking? Is there some sort of backup in my heater, 20+ year of crap in there causing a pressure backup maybe? Is this going to damage my engine?

What say ye?

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: somebody\'s knockin, should I let him in?

Are you sure all the air is out of the system? I know your driving quality but i work out at the local turd dealer and we had a mouseturd come in with what sounds to be the same noise and it ended up being a head gasket /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif thats my 2 cents and that would be worst case i would make all air is out of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Re: somebody\'s knockin, should I let him in?

Are you losing any anti=freeze or water from your radiator? I had a similar problem on a '98 vortec. Turned out to be a blown head gasket between the #4 & 6 cylinders thus creating a knocking noise. Hope its something simple for ya. Good luck.
    Joe