Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

someone come replace my fuel pump for me!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Nov 2, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i am totally lacking inspiration to work on the sub. i havent touched in in months! i wanna wheel it but i dont wanna put any work into it. all it needs is a fuel pump and it'll run, then my 4.56s for the rear end are on the way. iv egot to install both sets of R&Ps and get my front shaft to work. help i need some inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The inspiration is you can play with power tools and create carnage as you cut the rear floor open to get the the fuel pump assembly. Once it runs then you can do the R&P's and go create some carnage on the trails.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Harley

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If ya need a hand let me know. I'm in town for 12 more days

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...you cut the rear floor open to get the the fuel pump assembly

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I did that when I had my tank out, last month /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I need to pull my sendor again but this time, I am going to fab a door in the floor for future access...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Is there any good reason GM and most other manufacturers refuse to put an acsess door in the floor to make changing the fuel pump less of a chore??.One reason might be the tank and fuel lines,and the sending unit are usually rotted away by the time the pump fails--I'm amazed at how many trucks in the 90-04 range are already rusted badly underneath--looks like GM used recycled steel for the brake and gas lines.
    I recently put a fuel pump in an audi--all I had to do was remove a cover panel in the trunk(3 screws)and unbolt the pump from the bottom of the tank(had to use a long extention,and swim in the 5 gallons of gas to loosen the bolts,a PITA,but easier than removing the tank--pump cost 200 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif--I'd rather do 10 Audi fuel pumps than 1 later style Camaro--those really suck,gotta remove the exhaust,track bar,tank,and just about everything within 3 feet of the tank- /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif-a stupid setup,when an acsess door would have save 4 hours of hard labor..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

its not that i need help, its just that im too damn lazy to do anything. im cutting a hole in the floor for sure and making an access door there im gonna go to a junk yard and cut out a piece of floor larger than the one i cut out of mine and bolt it in place and seal it up with some silicone caulking.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just bypass it and run an electric fuel pump mounted externally. Thats the setup I go and it works great. The PO set it up with a custom tank and a bypass valve that I can turn and have the gas pumped out with the electric fuel pump. Great idea and option for lawnmower, camping, draining tank, etc .