Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

someone convince me that I actually need hubs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 31, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a nice hardly-used set of Warn Premium hubs on my front Dana 60 and I'm wondering if there is a good reason to keep them. I'm thinking of getting the hella beefy flanges from Poly Perf instead and selling the Warns to offset (some of!) the cost. Is there a good reason to keep hubs? My rig isn't a daily driver, i have a part time t-case and I'm not sure i really need a set of locking hubs. Anyone who has gone from hubs-to-flanges and regreted it? Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated...

j

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I was thinking this exact same thing the other day /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wouldnt that just cause more wear on the axle componants? other than that i see no negative effects, but again, i dont know much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

after reading jjlaungers post on his d60 upgrades, I am thinking I should go with driveflanges... since with 44's, 35 spline, etc, hubs would be breaking left and right.

I just don't like the idea of full time 4wd. especially with our fullsize rigs on tight corners, it's nice to beable to shift into 2wd (if you have a doubler) and turn, instead of struggling with 4wd. I don;t no, just pondering thoughts...

5. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I just don't like the idea of full time 4wd. especially with our fullsize rigs on tight corners, it's nice to beable to shift into 2wd (if you have a doubler) and turn, instead of struggling with 4wd. I don;t no, just pondering thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a part time tcase... the detroit isnt gonna engage with no torque going to it... right?

also, as long as the locker isnt engaging/disengaging all the time, there really isnt going to be all that much more "axle wear" is there? This isnt my daily driver, so it'd pretty much only see use to/from/on trails...

j

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah i am talking about my trail only rig too.
    Okay, I forgot about the detriot (or whatever locker) not engaged and all. sorry.
    How hard are flanges to install? How much stronger are they then hubs?
    Sorry for the hi-jack /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Do it. You won't notice on a part time driver. In the case of a bent/broken axle or driveshaft, you could pull the flanges out in a few minutes with few tools. If you want to feel the driving effects, lock in your existing hubs and drive around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

flanges are waay stronger then Warns

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I am putting the warn flanges in my ride as we speak.....well, type, but not really later today....you know what I mean.

10. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want to feel the driving effects, lock in your existing hubs and drive around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... thats my question I guess. Will the detroit lock/unlock or no? I don't want my steering to feel like it does when Im in 4wd and the hubs are locked... harder to turn and all. I do need to drive the rig to and from trails, so it can't be undrivable on the road. Who runs flanges with a part time case and a detroit... be interested to here experiences from those that do...

j

11. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I am putting the warn flanges in my ride as we speak.....well, type, but not really later today....you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

so do a test drive and let us all know what ya think. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

flanges have less moving parts than hubs, less moving parts, less to break. if you're in 2wd, shoudlnt your front locker unlock anyways, since its not getting any input? mine has hubs on it now, but when i go to 35 spline, im putting flanges on it. talk to Tim, he can hook you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

flanges have less moving parts than hubs, less moving parts, less to break. if you're in 2wd, shoudlnt your front locker unlock anyways, since its not getting any input? mine has hubs on it now, but when i go to 35 spline, im putting flanges on it. talk to Tim, he can hook you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How hard do you wheel???
    I can be an animal..that's why I bought'm.

The 35 spline warns can't be that bad..
    I opened the u-joint ears on my d70 stubs with'm installed.

I know of a couple buddies runnin' 44's with them..
    and no problems..they got them 3 years ago.

As far as road..handling..with flanges..
    it's not much different...
    I can feel the drivetrain moving that's all.

If you wheel hard....poly is the way to go..

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Other than the extra wear issue and slightly decreased fuel economy, the only drawback I see is that you can no longer unlock a single hub for turning a corner. With the Detroit and hubs, you have the option of 3 wheel drive with one hub unlocked. Of course, it would be unwise to use a lot of throttle in that configuration. With flanges, you would have to shift into 2WD and then back to 4.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a part time tcase... the detroit isnt gonna engage with no torque going to it... right?

also, as long as the locker isnt engaging/disengaging all the time, there really isnt going to be all that much more "axle wear" is there? This isnt my daily driver, so it'd pretty much only see use to/from/on trails...

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Right, as long as you're on a surface like a road. I have felt mine pushing me around in gravel, but it unlocks ALL the time on the road, I NEVER unlock the hubs on my truck anymore, and I drove it 60 MPH or so on a road between trails last weekend.

There is increased "axle wear" from turning the shafts and stuff all the time, but I think this point is moot, bearings are cheap.

If ya want a set of flanges, I've got a set of the Warns here, I was going to use them for my own truck but I'd be glad to sell them and order another set at a later date when I'm ready to go 35 spline. I'd saved a set of shafts to do it but I sold them already so they're gone, so if ya want the flanges send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

17. jekbrown

thanks much for the offer Tim, thats pretty cool of ya. I'm prolly gonna go with the poly perf ones though, so maybe another less fortunate ck5'er than myself could use the flanges? I dunno. Either way, i really appreciate the offer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nah, its cool. I'm going to save them. My truck would be 35 spline this week had I not broke my winch and had to dedicate my attention to that. I'll just run the 30 splines another couple weeks and then throw the Warns in my own axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif