Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

someone encourage me.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Feb 14, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

grrrr. i get so pissed sometimes because i work my ass off for school and can hardly ever get anything better than a C. want so bad to be successful, but i just can't get it sometimes.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its ok, I sucked at school too!

At least you can say you are getting an A+ in life though, awesome wife, cool truck, what more can you want? :D

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

do you have a hard time remembering stuff for tests, or is the material that difficult for you grasp? what subjects are giving you the most grief?

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

College I assume. The grades really don't matter, as long as they are passing, just so long as you get the degree. Relax, I've seen alot of people kill themselves and get fair grades, and people who just take it in stride get great grades, nonetheless, don't kill yourself. The tests are the key. Study for them, and you will succeed.

John

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Quit taking so many damn pics,:D .

Just joking man, your pics are great and probably a great release for your aggrivation.

Keep trying and everything will work out like it should, but I am sure you already no that in your heart and in your head.

6. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

lemme get my whip :D seriously when you get overwelmed just walk away you made it that far so you have to be doing well!! :bow:

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Are you taking too many classes?

Here's a formula I learned/used when I was in college:

1) For every one hour IN class, that three hours study time OUTSIDE of class.

2) Sixty hours total divided up between class/homework and work.

I.E. If you work forty hours a week, that leaves you with twenty hours total for class AND homework.

3) Sleep. Get plenty of sleep. You cannot file bankruptcy in regards to sleep. you must 'pay back'/catch up on missed sleep. (This is probably the most important item on this list.)

4) Fifty minute study time; ten minute break.

5) Read material BEFORE class. So you know what the professor is talking
    about and it will help re-enforce what you are learning.

5A) Read the chapter several times:
    A) Read each heading in every section and study all the pictures of the chapter, then put the textbook away.
    B) Then later on read the first paragraph of every section of the chapter, then put the textbook away.
    C) Then later on read the whole sections of the chapter, then put the textbook away.

6) Find a study buddy.

7) Focus on the task at hand.
    When you're in math class, don't worry about your history paper.

8) Be proactive with your school work, not reactive.

9) You don't have to like everything you do in school. You just got to do it.

You got the smarts.

Maybe you might need to get some discipline in your college career?

I hope this helps :D !

8. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

i so thought it said studly buddy send him my way! :haha:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

be glad you ain't an Arch major. ;) those studio classes are a killer. 3-4 hours, 3 times a week of actual class time... and a freakin' bajillion hours up in the studio working your ass off during non-class hours. Not even sure how many all-nighters I pulled at PSU... but it was a ton of 'em. Studio classes would be fine if you didn't have to take ANY other classes at the same time. Unfortunately if you want to graduate on time, you have to take lots of other stuff.

at any rate, hang in there dude... you'll make it. As others have said, the degree means more than the grades. It may help a smidgen to have honor societies and crap on a resume... but its really not that big of a deal to most employers.

j

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:wink1: :D !!

11. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry for the long post

What is your major? Props to CDA for the great list (sleep is so important and I'm just now figuring this out in my 4th year of college), the thing is I know to do all of that stuff, it's actually making myself do it that's the problem. I know my problem is lack of drive.

I need a reason for going to school, doing well and graduating... The only reason so far is to stop leeching off my parents... I mean I know I'm going to school so I can make more money when I graduate, but doing what? My major is Business Administration, and I know I would one day like to start my own business and be self employed, but doing what is the question... and what will I do until I save up enough money to start a business?

These unanswered questions are my biggest problems, so the best way to improve my grades is by concentrating on the answer to these questions. Just figure out what is holding you back, and concentrate on that, whether it is not enough time studying, no clear goals, not enough sleep, or to many classes. Remember Colby, you aren't the only one struggling in school (though it might be for a different reason, and a C is better then my current cumulative average... :( ) so keep your head up and keep on trucking.

P.S. - A's get praise, but C's get degrees.

12. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

CDA 455 has some good pointers. As much as I hate to say it, you gotta focus on school and make it your second earthly priority right after your family - that may mean scaling back on trucks, offroading trips, and other distractions. I looked at some of your other posts, and it looks like you are in engineering. Co-op experience and school related design teams (Formula SAE, Mini-Baja, etc.) count for a lot. Contrary to what skulz said, GPA is in fact important in engineering. I go recruiting once each semester, and GPA is one primary factor we use to determine candidates' qualifications - if it's low you best have a good explanation.

My encouragement is this: it will be worth it when you are done. I worked my arse off, and halfway thru grad school I was about to throw in the towel. I am very happy with the way my professional life has proceeded post-college.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think I'm dropping out after this quarter. Aside from the fact I can't motivate myself to get to class in the morning (7am), I work 48 hours a week as well, and get off at 10:30. My college has its head so far up its ass it is incredible. I won't bother with the whole story, but I recently found out I was ready to get my certification at the end of last year. :angry1:

I'm just going for a cert or two now, and I'm going to build a truck. Everybody's circumstances are different, and I don't advocate that anyone drop out. If you're having serious issues keeping up, drop a couple/few credits.