Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone learn me about dana 70 pinion offset

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What is the physical difference between a dana 70 carrier for a case with a 5/8" offset and and carrier for a 1/2" offset?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Maybey think and thin gearsets. If there is such a thing for a D70

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I would like to know this as well, I have done a little bit of reading and havent seem to found anything talking about what the "pinion offset" is. I dont know for sure but I think that it doesnt have anything to do with a carrier break, only because in gear application catalogs it lists different offsets for dana 70, 70U and 70HD :dunno:

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

5. mofugly13

Good link, this post jives with what I have been told.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5736451&postcount=10

But I have a powerlok carrier at home, when I run the numbers in the Dana spec. book, it says that it is a D70-B with a .5" pinion offset, but this carrier is from a mid 80's truck, and .5" offsets are pre-'71, according to the chart. I want to put it in my D70-U with a .625 offset. I have been told by numerous people that it will go, but I dont want to pull the old carrier out, swap the gears over, and then find out it's not going to work.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Mofugly - Once you have the carrier's out measure the ring gear flange's and compare before you go any further and that should answer any questions.
    To the best of my knowledge the carriers change over between the .500" & .625" housing but the 70HD-3 might be different animal if you have parts from one ???

Tom

7. mofugly13

I dont have any D70-HD parts. I have a powerlok rebuild kit and need to know if the carrier will work befor I go ahead and rebuild it. If worst comes to worst, I'll take the open carrier out and measure it against the one I want to use, but I'd really like to have the rebuilt powerlok ready to go before I pull the open carrier out.