Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone out there hates me!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Oct 25, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

My truck is NOT capable of running for more than 3 days are a time. finally got it back from getting all bearings and a hub in th erearend replaced, new calipers, new wheel cylinders, new brakes springs, shoes, pads, one new drum, and what happens? i take a left turn and try to get out in front of a car- i don't drop the clutch or anything- clutch is engaged completely, then i stomp it- first- both tires light up and i begin to get sideways, then bang, blew my rear CV up. thing is it's a slip yoke, and i haev no idea out to fix it. the thing that holds the ball in the middle it broken and i can't tell if i can replaced just that cylinder (on the slip yoke) this i think has something to do with my bent tailshaft- so i might be giving Jesse over at high angle a call about an SYE kit, then saving a little more, and gettin my shaft 'telescoped' and getting a 1350 or 1410 CV put on up top then rotating the rear end back up to the correct angle, raising the case back up, getting front shaft lengthened, and then gettnig my gears taken care of.

Motor mods are out of the question until i'm full 1 ton. that 350 is rated low- i don't care at all what anyone says at all. without turning, earlier that day, with 3.73s, at a stop light i let the clutch out, THEN stomped it, and it SMOKED both 39s. . .i have an OPEN DIFF. no brake, i wasn't trying to to anything but accelerate fast, and wow. if i just got the carb tuned i might have some low end enough to start ok in 2nd (or 1st, whichever you prefer) gear of the SM465. i can do it fine now, but it just don't feel right. the vacuum advance ain't hooked up and i got no mufflers, and the carb thing, so i got very little low end until the secondaries cough open.

Thought i'd vent and inquire about the CV.

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

damn dude,that sucks. it's always something. the only way to avoid problems is to stay in bed,don't use or touch a thing , thanks again for the pictures /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i don't care at all what anyone says at all. without turning, earlier that day, with 3.73s, at a stop light i let the clutch out, THEN stomped it, and it SMOKED both 39s

[/ QUOTE ]

That there is part of your problem. As wide as your tires are, with the low first gear and jumping on the skinny pedal that is just too much for a half-ton u-joint. I have had u-joints last for a long time but if I jump on it more then about two times that u-joint its good as gone. Hang in there you will get it all fixed.

BTW- how do you like to SM465 change was it worth all the trouble you are having? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. BowtieRed

i love it. . . but the torque increase is obviously dangerous

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Drive normal and things last longer.

6. BowtieRed

i know. CV joint is 1 month old. been driven 30 miles.

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Ditto /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Keep driving like you do and you will be breaking things all the time. Get used to it or change your driving. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I'm with you. Some one hates me too. Last month my wife is sitting t a stop light and a 17 yr old runs into here. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[​IMG]
    Car is totaled.

Last Sunday coming home from a weekend event, the guy in front of me losses control, jack-knives and gets turned around. Here is the out come of that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    [​IMG]
    $7800 of damage and I should have it back in two weeks, IF they don't have to do a frame swap.

Both of these accidents happened within 35 days and neither one was our fault. The good news in it all, no one was hurt in either wreak.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I sure you know this, but any chance you or somebody forgot to grind the stops out of the CV joint? If not,that will destroy a cv joint very quickly, and cause the problem you described. Just a thought.

10. BowtieRed

i know little about CVs. tell me what you're talkin about.

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

There are "stops" built into the housing of the CV joint that limit the angle at which the joint can be run. If the stops have not been removed and the CV is run at more of an angle than it was designed for, the ends of the u-joint housing hits the stops and it will break the CV. I learned this little fact when I had a custom drive shaft built for our Jimmy. I broke the CV twice before learning what the problem was.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep. It binds if you don't grind the stops off. CV joints are not the cure for too much angle...just the cure for vibrations.

Jesse has some high angle CVs, but yours is likely a stocker type POS shaft made with 20* cvs and you're running them at a 45* angle.

If you make a habit of spinning 17" wide tires on pavement, you will continue to break stuff. You don't have to dump the clutch to break stuff.