Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone please help!!!problem starting my 1977 trans am

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvyblzr1977, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

I know its not a blazer but you guys always help me with problems on my 77 blazer so i figured you could help me with my trans am.Recently I purchased a 1977 trans am with a 400 engine.Usually you would pump the gas twice and it would fire right up.Then when you had it started shut it off waited about 30 seconds it would start like the battery was dead but it would start now when you start it runs real rough you have to have you foot all the way down on the gas pedal after about a few seconds it runs fine its only \on a cold start.Can anyone help me with this its buggin me really bad.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

sounds like you choke needs adjustment. May be stuck also.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What carb are you running? To me it sounds like your choke is not working. I would check that first. My truck is like that starting, except I have to pump it 10 times or so to get it to start, and then it runs rough and usually stalls. Then I have to pump it some more and and start again and give it some gas until it smooths out, then let it warm up. Choke on my truck doesn't work.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Does it spew black smoke when your holding the pedal down? Sounds like its dumping too much fuel, probably from the choke.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Could also be foreign matter in the carb . Rod doesn't want to go into the jet hole . Found that before , and somehow it came from my original vapor can , little charcoal pieces . Replaced can , cleaned carb and it ran great again . Maybe not your problem , but its a thought , stuff happens /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Its a rochester quad 4 barrell I was thinking the choke to ill have to look at it tommorow morning.This has to be one of the best sites out there i got to work on becoming a member.
    Thanks everyone for there help

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You said after you had it started and running,it didnt want to crank fast enough after the 30 second wait??--sounds like the starter is getting heat soaked,my SB400 does that occasionally.A high tourque starter needs a good strong battery,heavy gauge cables(I've never beleived 4 gauge was thick enough in my opinion--I put 2 gauge or welding cable on my trucks,it makes a huge difference in cranking speed,especially if your stock aluminum clad copper 4 gauge decade old ones are still on there).If it wont crank fast enough,it will start hard no matter what shape the choke or carb is in--somtimes slow cranking will flood a motor,the starter draws all the juice,leaving hardly any for the coil to fire the plugs. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

ignition module,my friend had the same prob with his 77 firebird.for $13.00 i'm telling you try it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif when it gets hot it (the module) starts fooking up.