Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone Pls School me about car trailers

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Burt4x4, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hello Folks
    I have been reading and reading and I'm not sure what I NEED:confused:

I know what I want
    A trailer to hall my K5 and electric brakes on both axels.

I haven't weighed my K5 but with the 454 & swing out tire carrier w/bumper, winch bumper, rock sliders, 37gal tank w/hommade skid etc... So lets just say 6K

My confusion is with all the GVW, curb weight, axel rateings, 16' to 20ft' long, dovetail etc....
    Hell I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. Sure I could goto a trailer store and have them tell me what I need but I don't trust a sales person as much as I value all of youall's opinions of what works and doesn't work.
    So if any of you have time please tell me what is working with your fullsize rigs, what you like or wish your trailer had and if possiable tell me the numbers involved that I should look for....:confused: :confused:

Thanks
    Burt

2. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

18 or 20 feet should suit your needs nicely, width should be the next concern. If you dont want to beat up fenders alot, then get a deckover, if not, a regular car hauler will fine. Of course it all depends on how wide your rig actually is. You didnt mention what type of tow rig you had, so that will play a difference in what you get. The dovetail is a nice option to have, as it makes loading and unloading vehicles much easier. In either form, deckover or car trailer, I would opt for the heaviest axles as possible, because you never know what you will be hauling once you get a nice trailer. I personally have an 18ft (16ft with 2ft dovetail) 6k axles, dual electric brakes, Maclander, and it has worked out flawlessly. Post up the tow rig you will be using and more people should chime in as to what will work best.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

trailer info

the gvw is the trailer plus the object being towed on it that weight is the total gvw dont exced or if the man with the kmart light pulls you over look out. i just got a 10k equipment trailer 2 axle both brakes. trailer is 2800 my load can be up to 7200 legaly . that is about the weight of my k30 1ton bbc with 10" total lift with 38" grd hawgs . just wish i had gone with 20foot deck than with 16foot i cant flip ramps up all the way thay hit the bumper. try moritz trailers this think is frekin over enginered. buit like a tank.!!!!! spent 3800.00 with my state tax and brake controler. other than heavy dont even know its back there trailers like a dream!!!

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would advise a 20 foot car hauler trailer. with most tires 12.5 inches wide or wider and 3.5 inches of BS on the rims a standard width trailer of 6 feet can be close. i would advise a deck over with 2 braking 7,000 axles. also depending what you are towing with you will most likly want a weight distribution and air bags, maybe even a sway control setup.

as for brake controllers i have a brake smart in the dodge. i personaly have yet to use it for given reasons, but my dad loves it. rob finelli has one as well and im sure he can add input if you like.

one place to check for prices, and i can speak from persona experience is kaufman trailers. they are out of texas, and i got a 32 foot goose neck, deck over tripple axle, pop up, 16 inch centers with a bunch of other options for a nice price of 5900 delivered from texas to oregon. my dad also says the quality of work is great, the people were great to work with and the pictures i have seen, a couple posted in this forum, are nice. they worked with me on little stupid stuff and i got just what i wanted at a great price.

good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask in here or PM me.
    Grant

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, deckover sounds interesting. i'll have to look for some pics in googgle.

Here is my tow rig

[​IMG]
    2005 Duramax/Alison 4x4 Love it!
    I have been reading that the GM hitch is not all that great and has cracked on some folks. One guy even had it rip apart during tow:mad: scary thought!!
    So I may add a new hitch to my trailer budget. I was hopeing to keep the trailer cost around 2500, but if that won't buy me enough trailer I may have to beg the wife for more $$$

Keep the info comming, I'm hungry to learn as much as possiable. I know I have to keep the total weight of my trailer and K5 under 10Klbs so as soon as my K5 is running again I better get it weighed....
    Thanks again for your time guys.
    Burt

6. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

You got a rig that'll tow damn near anything, so now trailer options are pretty much endless. Just a matter of how much you want to spend. A gooseneck would be very nice, tow nicely, and provide endless possibilities, while a bumper pull would be more economical. If you want to upgrade your hitch, Reese makes a Class V called the Titan that has a 2.5" receiver, and a massive weight rating, 15k if I'm not mistaken. At this point, its more a decision of how much to spend.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I don't think I want to pull from the bed as one day I want to use the bed for a slidein camper. I have heard of other talk about the Titan hitch. Do you have a link or source were they are sold..I guess I could Google it hehehe

May be a good 'piece of mind' upgrade.

The real question is "how much will my wife LET me spend" hehehehehe

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yo Burt, if you're going to get a slidein eventually but need a new hitch now, you might as well get this little feller so you're good to go when you get the camper -

http://www.torklift.com/super_hitch.htm

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nice, I still can't use a fully loaded slide in with the 2500HD and 6K in tow. My total weight will be overloaded. I need to stay with the lighter slide in so I will just get one that is flush with the rear of the bed. That should be pleanty for what I'm after anyway. Still a HUGE stepup from a Tent:D
    So I won't need to extend my hitch.
    Oh and if you order your tow rig don't get the factory hitch, go aftermarket for sure. We got some heavy towing to do hhehehehe

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a 20' bumper pull with tandem 5200# axles both w/ brakes. 82" wide deck with slide in ramps. I got the long bastard because I need to be able to haul crewcabs with it. IMO, get the most trailer you can afford. You will have less problems with not being able to tow stuff because of weight and it will help in resale if the need ever arises. Now I just need to upgrade the burb to make it tow-worthy.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My trailer for the K5 is a 20 foot gooseneck with triple 7K axles. A bit overkill but the only trailer we have that has a deck wide enough. I would think a tandem axle car trailer would work fine as long as your K5 is narrow enough to clear the fenderwells. Twin 3.5K axles should be enough if the trailer is set up with say a 10% tongue weight. Goosenecks are really nice but heavy, my gooseneck combined with my K5 is a total weight of 11,760 lbs, a lot for my auto trans in my dodge. :D Hunt for a good used car trailer. ;)

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, My wife gave me the green light to start looking:D

I would like to get at least two 5k axels both with elec. brakes under it. I like the idea of the dove tail or beaver tail. Probly go for an 18fter...Now I just need to find one...
    So keep your ears open for me all of you in California;)

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an 9,000 GVW, 18' deck (16' w/ 2' dovetail), brakes on both axles, steel deck, car hauler built by Kaufman Trailers out of North Carolina. My tow rig is an '03 Chevy 2500HD (CC, SB, 6.0 gas, auto, 4.10).

Overall I'm pretty happy with the trailer. It appears to be well-built and had a good price......under $2k out the door....but I did drive from Ohio to NC to buy it directly from the company. The exact same trailer from a local trailer dealership was going to cost around $800 more and would take a couple of weeks to get. I put probably 3-4,000 miles on it so far hauling my 6,000 lb. 1-ton K5 with no problems. The empty trailer weighs close to 2,500 lbs. as is beefy. The 2500HD handles great and the 6.0L does an adequate job of handling hills (the Dmax would be nice to have, but I didn't have the $$$$). The only thing I would change is to put higher capacity tires on the trailer, the stock ones are a "P" rated 235/75R15 that show quite a bit of sidewall flex when loaded but have held up fine so far.

The dovetail is nice, but look at how much clearance the tail has. My trailer has quite a bit more clearance under the dovetail than most of my friends 7k trailer and therefore rarely drags when pulling into driveways or gas stations, or just the rougher trail parking areas or camping spots.

The deck width is always an issue with a fullsize rig on wider tires. I overcame the problem by simply stacking three wood 4x4's on top of each other, cutting them to the shape of the fender, and then bolting them together and to the stock fenders. The initial idea was to be temporary to see if I wanted to stay with drive over fenders, but it has worked well and is still in service. The only disadvantage is that it would be more difficult to load a fully or partially disabled rig on the trailer since the front tires are climbing up a 10"+ high steep ramp over the fenders while the rear tires are climbing up the rear ramps.....I always use 4-low but it's no problem for me (38" tires and locked f&r). I also loaded it without any problems in 3wd and no steering after breaking a front axleshaft and steering arm (bad day!), but had problems unloading it in the rain with the slick deck (lack of steering was part of the problem). Trying to load in 2wd only could be a problem so I'm going to look into some modifications to the ramps just in case.

Weight distrubition on the trailer seems just about perfect when pulling the rear tires right up against the fender ramps.

Even with the 4x4 wood fenders ramps with 2x4 braces (so about 5" wide on each side) a Jeep or other smaller vehicle will fit easily on the trailer. If not, the wood ramps can be removed with 2 bolts on each side..........for either hauling something of yours, or one of your buddies off the trail.

The deck over trailers are obviously another option, but I didn't like the idea of a higher CG, possible issues loading low riding cars, and the price tag was a good bit more for the ones I looked at.

I'm also happy with the 18' total deck length. With a K5 loaded properly, the rear bumper on the truck is just inside the rear lip of the trailer and there is several extra feet at the front of the deck. You should be able to haul a LWB truck without issues.

For ramps, I originally liked the idea of fold-up ramps but settled for the slide in style and am happy. With a longer load the fold-ups might be an issue and the slide-in style are pretty quick and easy to setup. My ramps slide straight out the back which are easier than the style you have to carry around and slide in from the side.

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool Man, thanks for the reply! Lots of food fer thought:D

There is a trailer place next to the freeway on my commute home, I may stop buy there to get some ideas what I am looking for...
    and some prices
    Later
    Burt

15. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Steve, I don't think you've seen my trialer yet but it's been real good to me so far.

It's a 20ft (18ft+2ft Dovetail) with a 83 inch deck. The axles are dual 5200# w/brakes. I also have the slide in ramps from the rear which work out really well. They slide out in a matter of seconds. My fenders are removable, but you needed a wrench to get them off so I welded wing nuts to the bolts and only use 2 per fender and it has worked fine. My truck with one tons and 39.5's fits perfectly on the deck.

Now my recommendations are these. If you do go with a low deck trailer get one that is 8 feet wide in front and behind the axles. I have had times were I had to reposition the truck because it wasn't centered on the 83 inch deck and one side was hanging off just a bit. If the deck were wider then this wouldn't be a problem. I actually plan on wideing mine because of this. I would also suggest some sort of tie-down points on the deck itself. Mine are only on the side and it would have been helpfull to have some on the deck. And the only other thing I would change on my trialer is the fenders. Like I said mine are removable but aren't that easy to remove. What I plan on doing with mine is putting a hindge on the, so I can pull 2 pins per side and simply flip them out. This way I have no wires to disconnect or bolts to loose.

I thought of a deck over but I too did not want the high COG and you never know what else you will be towing. I hope to someday have a 69 chevelle and didn't think it would be deck over friendly.:D

happy hunting.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine is 18+2, 14,000 lb GVWR, two 7k axles with brakes of course.

Looks like you've got some good advice going here.

I'd advise you to double check your slide in camper rating, single wheel trucks really shouldn't have slide in campers in my opinion.

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Good point on the tie-downs. My trailer has four d-rings welded directly to the deck (2 in front, 2 in rear). These make it really easy to strap down the ol' Blazer. The straps I use are "twisted snap hook" ratchets rated at 10k each. The snap hooks are really easy to use and it's almost impossible for them to come unhooked even if the strap loosens.

On deck width, mine is about 82" wide and then has stake pockets and a solid metal strip running along the side, basically widening the deck by a couple inches on each side. I don't really worry if the Blazer is not perfectly centered on the trailer and one side is hanging off a little. The tires are 13" wide so it's not going to hurt anything if 2" of a tire is hanging off the side.....not like this will make the truck slide off the deck (it would be scary if the truck moved at all while strapped down!!!!).

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Guys

I am looooking....but my day has not alowed me to go to any trailer lots so I can 'see' what is available local. I would hate to buy one un-seen.
    Estamon, were did you buy yours? Cost? What you have sounds like what I want or am leaning tward getting. Like you I can weld or modify if I have too but I would prefer to get exacly what I need to start with.
    My budjet is 3K, I hope I can keep it under 3K or my wife will beat me down hehehehe

19. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I got mine used for 2K. BUt it wasn't very old when i got it. The tires look new and the deck and all the paint was in excelent condition. :D

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Damn! I need to find a deal like that, keep your eyes pealed fer me mon:D

Thanks
    Burt