Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone recommend me a good video camera

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, May 14, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am gonna save for a good video camera, but I don't really know what to look for. I want as much optical zoom as is practical, along with user friendliness, and mucho video storage space. I was looing at some JVC's at costco, two of them looked pretty cool with something like 30X optical zoom and integral hard drives, but they were up around $700. Anyone have any suggestions for something good in the $4-500 range? I have never owned a video camera, so I don't know what to look for/avoid. Learn me.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my wife has a Panasonic PV-GS35. It has a 30x optical zoom. Uses mini-DV tapes. For what we use it for, its great. Not a professional quality unit or anything, but it does everything I need it to. Here is a FULL review with all the techy info anyone would ever want...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS35-Camcorder-Review.htm

its in your price range too. I had a couple of hundred bones of Best Buy gift certs (credit card offers rock) so I ended up getting mine for like $189. woohoo!

Unlike a LOT of sub-$500 digital cameras, it includes the best/longest lasting battery Panasonic makes for the model and its inputs/output selection is pretty solid. Firewire cards can be had on newegg.com for less than $15, plug 'er in and you're good to go.

j

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Top of the line right here. Gives all the home vids and pictures at weddings a nice "blair witch" feel. Shot my sons birth on it, most terrifying 30 minutes ever captured on film.

[SIZE=+1]Krasnogorsk-3 [/SIZE]

[​IMG] Film size accepted 16 mm. Frame size, mm 10,05 * 7,42. Frequency, frames/sec : 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48 and block-by-block filming.
    Lens: Meteor-5-1
    Focal length changeable,mm: 17 to 69
    Aperture size (geometric) f/1.9

:D

4. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you can go to epinions.com and get user feedback on any cameras you might be interested in. It has helped my quite a bit as far as the good and bad of things I might like. not sure which to recommend to you. I use a sony handycam and like it lots.