Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone remind me why the greasable bushings are so cool!!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by chevyfumes, Apr 17, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just spent the last hour trying to get one old bushing out.Four drill bits and 2 hacksaw blades later and I've almost got it out, but not yet.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif At this rate I'll have more into tools than it cost for the bushings.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had the same problem. I went threw a couple drill bits on one side, and then on the other side I figured out how to make it easier.

1. Get a BIG socket that the bushings in the spring eye will fit into.
    2. Find a socket smaller then the spring eye.
    3. Get a BIG C-clamp.
    4. Use the C-clamp to drive out the out spring bushing.**

*I had to cut the bushing lip off before driving out the bushing.

**I didn't have a real deep BIG socket, so every once in awhile I would have to remove the big socket, and cut the bushing, and then cut the insert sleeve with the angle grinder. Then drive some more out, and repeat.

***The bushings in the frame where factory and dried up, and popped out pretty easy, but the ones in my spring eyes were Poly that had been installed with my lift.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The best way I found was to press them out. Had all four factory bushings out in about 20 minutes.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did you guy's press the outer metal sleeve out also, thats what I'm havin the most trouble with,that thing might as well be welded in.../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Where at, in the eye bushings? My truck has aftermarket lift springs, and I didn't have outer metal sleeves. I just had to get the bushings and bolt sleeves out, and then pop in the new bushings that came with the kit. If your factory springs have some outer sleeve I can't help ya there. I didn't have to deal with them.

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Yep. Just make sure that your pressing them out the right way. They have a lip on one side that should be flush with the spring. We just bent the lip inward so we could sit the spring in the press with the lip bent facing down (have to do this so that lip of the bushing is out of the way and the press can press against the spring and push it out) and the edges of the spring barely on the press platform and then pressed them out. It was a rather large hydralic press. But it sure made quick work out of them
    Hope my wording isn't to confusing:)

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I found that getting the metal sleeve out was easily done by using an air chissle(sp?) and cutting it down the length of the sleeve and then just peeling it out with some pliars.

Good Luck.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Gotcha,I understand perfectly and a buddy has a press that might work if not I'll have to borrow his sawz all and go that route anything has to be better than my hacksaw and a hammer and chissel.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Thanks guy's...

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If you have a torch or access to one, it'll make this job a breeze. Torch the rubber (smells bad), and it'll all just drop out.
    Boss

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

This was much easier with the right tools..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Did ya get it done ? Chev 4x4 is right on the money. Air chisel.
    Jim

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I went to my bud's house and just used a drill and a sawzall. I just slid the sawzall in where the spring eye has a gap at the end of the leaf and after I cut through the outer sleeve I tapped it inside itself with a BFH and tapped it out. The prob I had before was the directions said to use a drill bit about 1/8" in diameter and I was breakin' em' so I went with one that would barely fit between the inner and outer sleeves and that worked great and my hacksaw wasn't cuttin' it so I used his sawzall... same story different day. I never have the right tools so I go to someones house who does... Gotta love friends..