Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone tell me what I did

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hopefully a simple fix, yesterday I was doing some battery work picked up some long battery post. long story short I went to crank it and the post were to long so the cables were not snug and something popped. Now it wont try to start, the battery is fine just not getting power anywhere. Any suggestions would be great.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Check the fusible links. Look for burnt insulation, and give them a tug (pull on em). If either is suspect, you just need to cut out the damaged section and splice in a new one. Should have the ratings written on the old ones, if you can't make it out, somebody here will know what size to run. I really can't help, cause I got rid of my fusible links a while ago.

If I remember correctly, there should be one down at the starter, one at the alternator and a couple on the firewall.

3. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well i would first go down and check your starter. if u blew the sylonide. you can jump the terminals on the starter and see if it still works. if thats fine id start checking ur ignition setup. im assuming you went through ur fuse box and checked all ur fuses.?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cracked solenoid??

If you tugged on the positive cable,you may have cracked the cap on the starter solenoid where the cable bolts on...if the fuse links blew,they are located in the smaller wires going to the post on the solenoid that the positive cable bolts too(they might be hidden inside a metal tube bolted to the bellhousing bolt near the exhaust manifold--there are two of them in two 10 ga. red wires..)..there is another fusible link (or 2)near the brake booster on the firewall ,and some trucks have one in the thick red wire going to the back of the alternator..:crazy: