Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

someone to install lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jun 10, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i can buy it myself
    but goodgod...nobody around here wants to touch it

only once place so far they said abuot 250$ for labor if i bought the kit...

but if i got a rough coutnry 6inch kit for 400$ soemting than had them put it on....i could just have them put on a skyjacker lift for about 700 parts and labor...what should i do here?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd say roll up yer sleeves and break out the wrenches! Either that or lure some rogue gear heads to your house using a few well-placed cases of cheap-ass beer....

3. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

If y'all are at all mechanically inclined it really isn't that difficult to install a lift. I did my 4 inch lift in my DIRT driveway all by myself. Just a floor jack some stands and hand tools. Good luck!!

Allan

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ill get some beer? lol

i am not mechanicly inclinced in the slightest

i got frustraited putting in a relay for my lights today

5. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Beer is your best answer then. Maybe hamburgers and hot dogs to sweeten the deal.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

too young to buy beer (19) but ive got friends /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hell, id buy 20oz steaks if it could be done for under 500$

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Get out and make some friends to c if they would help.

On the flip side, 250 isn't a bad deal 4 the installation....

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

SUBFAN is right thats not a bad price. The skyjacker kit would probably ride a little better then rough country. I got a rough county and I can now see how rough the country can be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for the luv of gawd, do the lift urself. Like an idiot, I paid 4wpw to do my original 4" lift back in the day. Yeah, they installed it right and all, but I didnt know or learn JACK about my own suspension. When I redid everything myself, I learned a lot about how a suspension works and goes together.... this way, when it breaks someday *I* can fix it myself as opposed to being a worthless pile of poop waiting for a tow truck! IMO, doing the install yourself would be the way to go even if it cost MORE money than having a pro do it...

j

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im with jek on this this..do it yourself..letting someone else do it doesnt do anything but get it on. and if you ever want to learn how to do it..you have to do it. when i first got into this i didnt really know what i was doing. but after doing a lot of repairs on my truck..and stil lwokring on fixing/biulding it up..ive learned so much about these trucks. and learn more everyday...do it your self and ull be able to sit back and tell them you did it when they ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you do it yourself, make sure you have a back up car/truck to use if you have any problems(rusted bolts). Other than that, jekbrown is right. You will learn so much
    from doing it alone or with some help. The problems you run into are part of the learning process.

One thing I always do is measure the cost factor. If it will cost me $250 to have someone install, I would be much better off spending $250 dollars on tools for myself to get the job done and they will be yours so you really gain in the long term. All my tools were bought for jobs I needed to takle myself. I have all the tools now and no one has my money!

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with everyone about doing it your self. Just make sure you have a backup car and take your time reading the instructions and we are here to answer your questions also. It would be a good idea however to have some who is mechanically inclined helping you so the both of you can jack up the truck, make sure it is safe, and so on. It is a lengthy job for a novice but not a difficult one. You can pretty much figure out where everything goes(there arent THAT many parts). Just study the directions a couple times before you start the job and get all the tools together that you will need. Mostly a full socket set, large and small hammer,and a torque wrench will be what you need. good luck, and let us know if you encounter any probs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I agree you should do it your self Ask some of your freids/wheeling buddys that know somthing about it you will learn alot and then you wond be as scared to do the next thing you want to do. If you gotta give a feind $50 to have them help you its worth it. Or tell them you will do somthing for them your good at

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

only thing im good at is computers
    not many of my wheelin friends need websites tho, lol

whenever i have something done to my truck, i always am up next to the guy, watching, helping, asking Q's....

im all about learning...its just not knowing enough abuot it or having the tools/expirence to be confident about doing it.

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

heck, bring it out here to Colorado, I'll put it on for you. You buy the beer. Shouldn't take but about 2 days to drive each way, 400 bucks for fuel and 25 bucks for beer. LOL.

Too bad we are not closer.

John

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

there HAS to be a ck5 member somewhat near you that you can bribe (beer or a girlfriend's hot sister usually works!) to give ya a hand. Its definitely easier when u have 2 peeps. That said, most of these things (shackle flips, lift kits etc) come with instructions... and if u have questions, most companies have 1800 help lines, or u could post the questions here on ck5. Thats how i generally get projects done. When i started out, i could barely change oil... now I'm willing to try pretty much anything so long as it doesnt require major disassembly of the tranny or engine... and those are only a matter of time! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, your fellow ck5'ers are here for ya buddy, go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

ps: what those guys said about backup cars is a good point... my dads ranger has saved my bacon more than once when the k5 was torn apart. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lift will probably have to be put on hold

im getting a job here soon..and as the saying goes...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I figure i can get a 4 inch lift, zero rates, shackle flip and blocks for about 300..then have dude put it all together and prob looking at having it completed for near 500$ thats acceptable...
    but its on hold...quit my job so i ned every $ i can get