Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone tried to kill a buddy of mine....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jun 22, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

http://www.thestarpress.com/articles/0/021659-8940-001.html

Man charged with arson, attempted murder
    By T.J. WILHAM

MUNCIE - A man and his girlfriend had to jump out of their second-story window Monday morning after the woman's former boyfriend set their house on fire in an attempt to kill them, police said.

The ex-boyfriend, Ball State University student Lee J. Lillie, 21, 2820 N. Everbrook Lane, was in custody late Monday at the Delaware County jail on preliminary charges of attempted murder and arson. He is being held without bail and is on suicide watch.

"Had they not jumped out of that window, we would have had fatalities," said David Miller, chief investigator for the Muncie Fire Department. "They could have been dead easily."

At 3:22 a.m. firefighters were called to 119 W. Webber St., after Geoff Ginther, 22, and his girlfriend Sara Butler, 20, both Ball State students, jumped out of a second story bedroom window wearing nothing but their underwear in attempt to escape flames that engulfed Ginther's house.

The two were asleep when smoke awoke Ginther, who immediately woke up his girlfriend, checked the bedroom door, saw smoke, felt heat and realized there was no way out.

"There was no other option but to jump," Ginther told The Star Press Monday evening. "We would not be able to last in that room. The smoke was choking."

So, Ginther picked up his cell phone, led his girlfriend, who was groggy and did not have her glasses, to the window and persuaded her to jump first.

"I didn't want her to get nervous and back out. I wanted to make sure she got down there all right" said Ginther who jumped seconds after Butler landed safely. "I had so much adrenaline pumping at the time that I didn't hardly feel the fall at all."

Once on the ground, Ginther used his cell phone to call 911. When firefighters arrived the two were standing in their yard covered in soot.

Immediately the couple told authorities about problems they had been experiencing with Lillie since Butler broke up with him a month earlier and started dating Ginther.

Police said that since the year-long relationship, ended, Lillie had been calling Butler threatening to kill her new boyfriend. He even sent text messages on her cell phone, police said.

And, about four hours before the fire, Ginther called police, reporting that a tire on his truck had been slashed. Investigators suspect Lillie might have been involved.

When he was being questioned, Lillie told city detectives that he had poured lighter fluid on a couch in the front porch and set it on fire, according to arrest records.

Lillie told investigators that "he couldn't take it anymore, and no one would listen to him."

He also said that he started the fire in front because he knew Ginther and Butler would be able to get out the back door.

However, investigators said Monday that didn't matter, and Lillie could still be charged with attempted murder.

"He knew people were inside, and that's the bottom line," Muncie police Sgt. Steve Cox said. "[The couple] are extremely lucky. The potential was there for this to be much worse."

Fire officials said that Ginther's home is not livable; however, it could be rebuilt.

Fire destroyed the porch and a living room, and heat and smoke badly damaged the rest of the home that sits just a block away from Walnut Street.

"Right now, all of this is very surreal," Ginther said. "It's a shock that it escalated this far overnight. I believe he had a lot hatred towards me."

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Wow! Glad to hear they got out alright, sounds like a good guy to keep his head on straight and be able to get out of that situation with his g/f.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Holy crap! That is scary! Were they alright after jumping out of the building? Sorry to hear that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

holy fatal attraction! why do some people think that's all right to do? I mean, get a life, get over it, and live and let live it's not the end of the world just because someone breaks up with you, there are plenty of women out there to date. I know of some guys that way, their girls break up with them and they stalk them trying to talk with them and stay in their life and make them miserable. that's sad man, but I'm glad they were able to escape with no injuries.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dayum, some people are just too stupid! There are Six BILLION people on the planet, and about half of them are female. Instead of just finding another one of those females to date, that moron just signed himself up to spend the next 25 years or so in an 8x10 cell with only male companionship. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Glad to hear that your buddy made it out alive! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah I'm glad they are all right. I know Geoff from my College car club so basically I just see him at meetings and at the race track. He's a pretty cool guy even though we bug him about being a RICER /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif hahah (some sort of a toyota stationwagon /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

I guess his 3/4ton tow rig was in the garage and burnt up a little also... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Depending on the insurance situation one of the other guys in the club is wanting to buy it for the 454 motor and tranny, he sent me an email with the story and told me I might have to dispose of the burnt body and frame/axles /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is making me want to put camera's on my property edge even more...

Good for your friend he and her got out ok, and good to hear the perp will be charged with attempted murder.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Sara Butler, 20, both Ball State students, jumped out of a second story bedroom window wearing nothing but their underwear...

[/ QUOTE ]

does this mean that lucky on-lookers gotta see naked boobies?? and if so, why are there no pics posted yet?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j