Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone was looking for this LIONS BACK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Apr 17, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ugh, that movie always gives me the chills. makes me glad i have EFI tho

3. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

meh, repost

I can't even count how many times i've seen that one on tv or the computer...but its too many.

www.4x4movies.com is where its at.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I thought the story was the brakes went out...

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

:confused:

Thats what the dude says on the video....But where they got in trouble was the engine had died (i.e. no compression braking)

The dirt at the bottom really cushioned the impact.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't remember the whole story...

But it boils down to the fact that someone was driving it that shouldn't have been. Combine that with any kind of mechanical failure and you're in for a disaster.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i know it is a repost but someone was looking for the video in the garage before

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, there was a newb behind the wheel... but i really doubt that she caused the master cyl to fail.. and one has to admit that in spite of having lost the brakes, and the engine died (no more power steer) the woman did a hell of a job getting to the bottom without careening over a 100' drop. Some people like to think they are good drivers and all, but until something like that happens to you, I don't think anyone can say whether or not they would have performed better.

j

9. CyberSniper

Well, they shouldn't have been driving on that obstacle. IIRC, she didn't even drive it up the obstacle... only down. I said that she shouldn't have been driving on it. Then combine it with a mechanical failure and it turns into a disaster.

Plain and simple, she shouldn't have been driving on it. An automatic vehicle without an emergency brake shouldn't have been on the hill. I'm willing to bet she panicked when it stalled and forgot to put it into neutral and couldn't get it started again.

Years later the lady "overcame" her fear on some TV show by driving it in a new Rubicon. Talk about being scatter-brained. I'd hate to know what she's like in a panic situation.

I'd like to believe that a seasoned wheeler would've handled it better. If not, we're in a world of trouble.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

And im sure you would have known exactly what to do when the brake pedal went to the floor. :surepal:

11. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

im a good driver, no wrecks, knock on wood. Personally i wouldnt really know what to do in the situation. What would yall have done. maybe try and downshift the tranny???

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

After seeing the video, I think that I would have prayed/cursed to the bottom and then changed shorts. Scary.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been up and down Lions Back a number of times. I would have just tried to keep it on the path, and drive it straight to the bottom...then let what ever happens at the bottom...happen. Hopefully there would not be a bunch of trucks waiting at the bottom to go up.

14. stevewix

stevewix Registered Member

hey thanks that somebody was me!!!

15. CyberSniper

I've had my automatic transmission truck stall on me before. No fluid coupling = no engine braking. Pop it into neutral and hit the key. I know with my 700R4/NP208 in first/low the tires will skid before the engine will reach 5000rpm.

If the brake pedal goes to the floor, you stab it a couple times trying to get the combination valve to trigger to turn off the "open" channel if you just blew a line. If the master cylinder itself blew you're SOL if you want hydraulic brakes.

She was going like 40mph by the time she got to the bottom. I'd say the vehicle was still in "drive" when it hit bottom... just coasted down the hill and *splat*. If she had power steering she'd probably have overcorrected anyway.

She did good for a newbie scared of heights... but she still shouldn't have been driving.

16. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

That vid is why I keep my K5 close to the ground, not into the heights thing at all... I've got nothing to prove when it comes to hill climbs.

Do you have to come back down Lion's Back? I have never been to Moab. :frown1: Coming down would just plain suck, no thanks!

I can't believe she managed to not go off the edge, probably saved their lives.