Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Someone with wiring knowledge/Haynes manual.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Jan 6, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Right now my Haynes manual is in my dorm room...and I'm at home for Christmas break. Not a good combination when you want to look at the wiring diagrams /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. So, question is....I just installed a tach, and I want to wire the tach's light to the dash lighting (you know..the lights that light up the gauges, and dim with the headlight control)...so, what color wire and where is it, do I want to tap into? I'd rather not just go guessing and tapping into various wires behind my dash...so your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC it was a gray wire heading into my radio harness in my '74.

GM never changes anything unless forced, so it might still be the same for you 16 years later? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I can look in my Haynes tonight if nobody else can answer.

Hope this helps.

-Ben

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

The one I found was white. I followed back the wires off the headlight switch. Start there and see what ya have.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

it's probably a grey wire, some gm fuse boxes have a dash light post in the lower left corner, you can tap onto it

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks all...I'll look into it.

(Tach is a bit too bright with the light wired to a straight 12V - compared to the other gauges /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.)

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you can get to the other guages you can find the light bulb and patch into the wires that goto it. Of coarse thats just a guess but it worked on my 78 Firebird.

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Some people say its not the best to run wires into a fuse, but i ran the wire to the fuse for Instrument Lamps (5 Amp). I put the wire to the cold side of the fuse (so if the fuse pops, the tach will stop recieving power like it should) , and the tach dims with the rest of the guages.