Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

someone xplain thin&thick gears to me please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering because i would like to regear here soon to 513s. i have a d60/14bff. i was under the impression that if you use thick gears you can reuse the same carrier thats used for the 410s that i have in there now am i right?? also am i able to get thick gears for the 60 and 14bff?? what are some good places to look online for R&Ps?? thanks much

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i was just wondering because i would like to regear here soon to 513s. i have a d60/14bff. i was under the impression that if you use thick gears you can reuse the same carrier thats used for the 410s that i have in there now am i right??

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, "thick" gears allow you to use a 4.10 and down carrier for 5.13s.

[ QUOTE ]
    also am i able to get thick gears for the 60 and 14bff?? what are some good places to look online for R&Ps?? thanks much

[/ QUOTE ]

best prices I have found are on the vendor's forum on pirate4x4.com... tho tim may be able to hook it up as well.

j

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes , you can reuse your old 4.10 carrier for your 14FF if you get the after market thick gear set .
    The material that R/P's are made out of is very high grade and fairly exspensive so axle manufactures sometimes made differentials with the ring gear mounting flange in different locations to avoid having excessive ring gear material. The after market addresses this issue by offering the thicker gears but the O.E.M.'s saved money by making seperate series carriers because they are making such large volumes of each - if they can save a few bucks on everyone that they build , in the long run it is more cost effective for them . The aftermarket makes money because there is a market for the thick gears when the correct carrier is hard to come by or the other series carrier is more plentyful.

I can not remember if a "Thick" set of gears are offerd for the Dana 60 but a call to a gear seller will answer that for you.

HTH, Tom

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

iirc the thick gears are only for the HP60 (Ford 60's) not GM and Dodge.

5. stangfootball34

stangfootball34 Registered Member

So do I have to buy a whole new carrier for my dana 60 to run 5.13's or do they make a ring gear spacer or something. I run 4.10's as well in my dana 60.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I think atho is correct about the thick gears only being offered for the HP gear sets. There is a ring gear spacer available but it is a personal call if you want to use it or not . You might want to check with the person , or shop , that is going to do your gear install and see what there thoughts are on the spacers - not all gear installers will use them .
    On a lighter note; the higher ( numerically ) ratio Dana 60 carriers are fairly easy to find .
    Good luck , Tom

7. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 60 35 spline detroit locker for 4.56 and up ratios if you have a chevy 60. It'll take those steep gears without a spacer-you can find the standard thickness gears and save some of the cost back on the locker.

8. stangfootball34

How much do you want for that chevy dana 60 4.56 carrier with a detroit locker?

9. stangfootball34

How much do you want for that chevy dana 60 4.56 carrier with a detroit locker? And shipping to 75069 in Texas.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So do I have to buy a whole new carrier for my dana 60 to run 5.13's or do they make a ring gear spacer or something. I run 4.10's as well in my dana 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK you do... of course, if you got a detroit, it wouldn't be a problem since it replaces the carrier. I have a 4.56 and up + detroit in my chev 60.

j