Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something cool i can do with admiral stand up fridge? creative ideas ? hehe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 17, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

welp my grandmas old 5 foot tall by 30" wide gold/brown 1974 model year admiral fridge that she bought brand new back then has finally died recently, was in exact same spot down here in the kitchen since 1974, it matches the stove she still has today that i had to hot wire the pilot controls on for the oven cuz the electric control safety switcvh in it died a few years back and they wamnt 60 soem bucks for it so i said screw that and i hotwired the pilot on all the time evne though its not safe technically

the fridge is kinda sort sentimental since its been in here since four years before i existed and i was little and pulling food from it i like grew up with the stupid thing haha, and so i was thinking and i need some kind of big cabinet space like this fridge shell to have shelves and such to put loose junk in, tools, hardware and such, i wonder if i should or could remove all the plastic interior panels from it and build some kind of shelving and drawers and such in it to load it full of junk,

or what else could or should i do with it, or am i wasting my brain power and it should just be given to scrap guy and RIP for it ? haha

no i dont have too much time on my hands, i actually have way no where near enough timme on my hands too much to do and never going to get half the time i need to get even half the crap done, but sometimes i overthink and i dunno... haha!

thanks for anything lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: something cool i can do with admiral stand up fridge? creative ideas ?

Why not?

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

two words,

Keg Cooler

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]
    why not what ? lol, i am totally losted on that response haha /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    two words,

Keg Cooler

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, im not into alcohol, i rarely ever drink, maybe have drank ten times in my entire life so far, and only a couple of those times i actually got drunk like for real, not just buzzing as usual from a couple shots of 1800 and some drafts like usual when i do drink ever.

maybe i could make it into a big tool chest, or something after lining it with plywood ? build a foot or two tall platform under it so dont have to bend over so much to reach down into it ??

dunno,

grow worm farm in it ?

theres gotta be something

oh i know, plant a msall tree in it and paint it a hot color and place it neatly out in the yard iwth mulchwork and flowers around it!
    maybe even paint flowers on it!!

haha

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    two words,

Keg Cooler

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably too much trouble since the fridge no longer works... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...

I'd say blow it up....or just dedicate it as the "Shootin'Fridge" and fill it with some lead...

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    two words,

Keg Cooler

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably too much trouble since the fridge no longer works... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...

I'd say blow it up....or just dedicate it as the "Shootin'Fridge" and fill it with some lead...

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont own a single gun, not even a pellet one haha.

hum..

i think im out of luck, cept for the tree or flowers idea,
    i think im gonna do that if nothing else decent pops up as an idea, ill paint it green or something and mulch around it and maybe a small tree in it, hmmm

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe you could flex a truck on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Try trading it for a gun then!

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What is wrong with it . If it doesn't need a compressor , I could send parts . How about a description of problem and model number. I picked up an admiral freezer , had it running pronto . I run a parts store /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you could flex a truck on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...

[/ QUOTE ] i dont have and no one i know has a truck that big, hmm,,

crappy..

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What is wrong with it . If it doesn't need a compressor , I could send parts . How about a description of problem and model number. I picked up an admiral freezer , had it running pronto . I run a parts store /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, wish would have known this around a month ago up to around two hours ago.. !

the condensor tubes fins deal in between the freezer floor and fridge ceiling was packed solid full of ice and it would not cool, it quit cooling, very little cool air at all, ice frost was getting up onto the freezer floor from no where and collecting, in which its never doen before til it quit cooling, would barely skin ice over on top of water in the freezer, and would run non stop all the time even though was not cooling, it just quit cooling for good one day a coupel weeks back, before then it woul sometimes not stay cold, for about a month before that off and on it would be noticed that it was not cooling correctly, it is an admiral frost free model number KNT1697TCE the thing was 30 years old, its done im sure, its too late anyways i already have it mostly gutted busted up, all left to do is rest of plastic lining and the compressor and other underneath parts and its done thewn ready to make planter out of, but if you think you might know what was wrong with it then go for it, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif it did seem to have a good amount of freon left in it when i chopped the line haha, its been used literally non stop since 1974 i dont know how it could still be running and not need major repair all those years., i know it was one of the top of the line fridges back in 74, it is big time insulated more so than any other stand up fridge i have ever busted up, it has melted form poured plastic foam insulation really super thick and tough, and ice maker installation hookup ability, and some other neat stuff, etc.
    nothing on it was cheap everything on it was still in great shape nothing broken or loose or anything liek that it still was clean like brand new even hehe, That 70's show should have bought it off me to use as a correct 70's period prop haha,

actually... its still fine on the exterior i havent touched the outside, doors included, all still mint shape you wouldnt even know it was gutted inside uinless you opened the doors., hum,,.,.

its crazy,

thanks

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i dont want a gun though, and plus what redneck hillbilly would trade off his gun for a junk fridge thats now a gutted tin sheetmetal shell pretty much ? haha

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not funny man /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. pauly383

Ouch, it was very good still /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Basically compressor runs with the temperature control and cycles off and on . On manual defrost models you turn it off periodically to combat that frost. On frst free models it has a timer that interupts the compressor running evry 6-10 hours and runs a heater for 21-30 minutes. There is a safety thermostat to kill the heater if temperature exceeds the limit before the time runs out.

Now all the air for the fresh food section comes from the freezer through a duct or damper door. If those coils ( evaporator coils , condensor is behind or underneath ) ice up because of a problem in the defrost system, there will be no airflow to cool anything ( think about covering your mouth and blowing hard ) .

So if it iced up like you said , you unfortunately killed it by gutting it. Parts would of been ( my cost/retail cost ) timer 8/27, heater 13/35, and thermostat 5/20 . So basically replacing the whole thing would of set you back 26 plus 5 bucks for the ride from my wharehouse across town from me.

Or you could of unplugged it once a week with the door open .

Oh well, you didn't know. Next time you need a hand let me know /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Use it to build a smoker for meat. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

can i use the compressor out of it for anything ? anyone have any idea what the FPS or FPM rating is on one of these things ? it has quite z bit of oil still in it and everything, ive heard of ppl taking these compressors and using them as pumps for tires and other lower PSI/air output volume uses i think, i dunno

another thing is that i wonder if that fan motor underneath for the heat exchanger deal or whatever it is wnet bad and might be all that went wrong with the frdge why it quit cooling even though it seemd to still have a good amount of coolant left in the system, hmm..

really super badly dusty under it at the compressor and cooler and such, hmm,,.

i was always gonna eventually get around to breaking otu the air compressor and blasting it all clean under there, but just never got around to it, i dunno if dust accumultion under a fridge can possibly cause a failure or not,

no idea,

maybe someone here might know ?

thanks

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ouch, it was very good still /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Basically compressor runs with the temperature control and cycles off and on . On manual defrost models you turn it off periodically to combat that frost. On frst free models it has a timer that interupts the compressor running evry 6-10 hours and runs a heater for 21-30 minutes. There is a safety thermostat to kill the heater if temperature exceeds the limit before the time runs out.

Now all the air for the fresh food section comes from the freezer through a duct or damper door. If those coils ( evaporator coils , condensor is behind or underneath ) ice up because of a problem in the defrost system, there will be no airflow to cool anything ( think about covering your mouth and blowing hard ) .

So if it iced up like you said , you unfortunately killed it by gutting it. Parts would of been ( my cost/retail cost ) timer 8/27, heater 13/35, and thermostat 5/20 . So basically replacing the whole thing would of set you back 26 plus 5 bucks for the ride from my wharehouse across town from me.

Or you could of unplugged it once a week with the door open .

Oh well, you didn't know. Next time you need a hand let me know /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

crack.....

yeah after thinking about it(after i began gutting the interior of it and then gutting the compressor and cooler fan setup from under it just now) i wondered if maybe even it would be the fan motor that died,.

the fridge ran and everything still, made all the same sounds as usual, none of that was any different, just that it was icing up inside and not cooling worth a damn, just a little tiny bit is all,.
    but with it still having been sounding all the same as always before i doubt that the fan motor up underneath was dead then

i just cant believe that a 29 year old fridge that was literlaly run every single minute of its life since 1974 could have lasted so damned long with not needing anythning more than the drain pan drained and the light bulb replaced, and thats it, literally.

humm..

i guess its true they dont build em like they used to

no ?
    yeh ?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    i just cant believe that a 29 year old fridge that was literlaly run every single minute of its life since 1974 could have lasted so damned long with not needing anythning more than the drain pan drained and the light bulb replaced, and thats it, literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to make good things in America ( still do make some good things ). My freezer , came from the original owner, just as old as your fridge, needed 10 bucks in parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif