Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something different, smaller tires??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Apr 3, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

It will cost $655 for 32" BFG A/T's (currently have these), or $336 for 31" All Season radial tires. I don't have much money and it's my daily driver, so would I see improvements in speed and fuel economy? I think I would beable to get them to chirp more then my BFG's /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I can get 35''s cheaper than that price for 32''s /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Have you looked into any other brands? I'm sure someone will chime in with a good/cheap tire in the size you want. BFG is owned by the french anyway /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. anatomiczero

$655 balanced and everything for the BFG's. There's used Wild Country APT's for $245 installed, 30k miles left on em. I also need an alignment so that's $70 for a total of $315. $437 for a different tire & alignment, but new.

The outer tread on my tires are close to bald so I should do this now, then in a year or 2 I may put bigger tires and a lift on when I can afford it.

Now I need to decide on used tires with a better tread pattern or new tires, probably will go with the used tires.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

go to wallyworld and look at the liberator if your going to be going to 31's...i swear by that tire

5. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

Kumho makes some great venture M/T's for about 90 bucks a piece at tirerack.com Or if you're a member of sam's club, they have the uniroyal laredo M/T installed for about 95 bucks.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of 31x10.50 15 liberators i'll sell you for $120 plus shipping or i'll trade for ? if your interested, they have 12/32" tread left on each of them. these start out with about 17/32". PM me with your zip if you would be interested in them. i'll even send the road hazard paperwork if you want. then if you have a problem you can tell them your me and get your tire fixed for free or pro rated if it need replaced.
    rick

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why would you need to get an alignment after new tires??

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

dont spend $70 on an alignment...its real easy...if you have a long 1x2 or something close and a few tools you can do it. i have been doing mine for about 2 years and i have always been way more satisfied with my work than anyone else's

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i got the 31" uniroyal all seasons on my truck...i think they suck butt...but then again there isnt to much tread on them..but slipry conditions..forget it in these..but i cant afford new tires so...o well!

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    dont spend $70 on an alignment...its real easy...if you have a long 1x2 or something close and a few tools you can do it. i have been doing mine for about 2 years and i have always been way more satisfied with my work than anyone else's

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you. A straight axle truck is easy to align. The "tolerance" band that the shops shoot for is actually wider than you can find yourself in your garage with boards, tubes, whatever and a tape measure (or even just a tape measure).

The alignment is for your wheels, not your tires, so getting it done before or after the new tire install doesn't really matter. However, since this guy says the outsides of his tires are bald, his alignment is probably off. Plus, the garage method is just for setting toe. He may be off on his camber as well to wear tires like that. Again, you could rig a tool to measure camber, but you still have to go to an alignment shop for shims. Plus, most people never touch their camber on these trucks.

11. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

not to get off the subject can someone tell me how to do the alinement myself at home in my shop? I hate paying someone to do work for me that I can do myself. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. anatomiczero

It's $44 for the alignment, I looked at the wrong one. I also need a tie rod end. I got the Wild Country APT's for $238 installed, great wet traction.

My steering box leaks and all the brakes will need to be replaced. So should I just have them do the brakes (new calipers and everything) and steering box for about $1,000 or do it myself? Is it hard to change the steering box and then bleed it? Same for the brakes, hard to change callipers and everything?

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

they dont make those in 33" do they?

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

do a search for alignments, by my username...ive posted it a lot

15. anatomiczero

[ QUOTE ]
    they dont make those in 33" do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do.

16. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

yea you're getting ripped off for nthose 32's

17. muddbogg89

muddbogg89 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

So should I just have them do the brakes (new calipers and everything) and steering box for about $1,000 or do it myself? Is it hard to change the steering box and then bleed it? Same for the brakes, hard to change callipers and everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about the steering box,but the calipers and pads are relativly easy.But if you need rotors that is a little harder, you have to take out your hubs.And you would most likley want to do your wheel bearings also.
    You can save $$$ doing it yourself and can get answers to any ??? here at CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i haven't seen them, but anatomiczero isn't the first person i've heard say that they do come in a 33".

19. anatomiczero

20. anatomiczero

My dad has replaced the rotors on it when he owned it so he can help, but I'm not sure about replacing the callipers and bleeding them. I'll go read the chilton.