Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something happened to my k5...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., May 24, 2006.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

It has to get worse to get better... right?
    :doah:

...well off to pismo for memorial day weekend..
    I'll post more pics when i get back. :wink1:

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    you're f-n kiddin right?

Why'd you cut her up?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dibs on those skull door lock pulls!!! :usaflag:

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Invasion of theBody Snatchers-Part II.:D

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I messed my pants when I saw that pic:doah: :eek1:
    I am heading down to Pismo tomorrow morning and from the sound of it he took his...what use to be...K5 with him :confused: Somthing about a V8powered banshee :eek1:
    And lets not forget about thease:
    [​IMG]

I think his K5 has been loosing weight ever sence he took this pic.....

We will find out if his "Sand Truggy" can make it up a hill faster than my Big-ol heavy BBC powered K5...I probly weigh 4Klbs more than him by now:doah:
    To be continued....

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will be interested to see where this goes -

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

I saw him driving his work truck the other day with his old old cage in the back, i knew he was up to something but didnt know it was THAT crazy:eek:

..wonder if hes going the tubed route with the removable skins... that would be awsome.

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't have any pics but it's sicker than sick! But, it now has IFS in the front...

9. Ryan B.

After i smacked that tree a few months back the only straight body panel left was the tailgate. :doah:I've been collecting straight first gen body pieces, it would be a shame to replace the body all factory like and smash it up again... :wink1:
    Believe it or not, i hardly used the sawzall, i learned from vtblazer after you unbolt all the bed bolts, theres only a few spot welds to strip the back half of a k5 down to what you see..

Yup. :doah: Heres a few teaser pics of my k5 after its resurrection. :crazy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hold on now.....
    OK SO the story goes like this...
    RB got him self a regular Sand Truggy now...well it is still his K5 but add some tube and removable sheetmetal aand BAM! Hugger Orange Bad Ass First Gen with the fattest slicks/scoops I ever seen on a K5....
    Poor D60 is dead now....something to do with grabin 4th gear about 15 maybe 10 ft from the top of comp hill, that is about hmmmm ya HALLIN ASS..,, and then nothong but silence...as RB & me (shotgun) float thru the air...hell I could have ordered dinner before we "landed"....poor D60....:doah:
    Hey I had a great time:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wicked!! :bow: :bow:

Nice morph Ryan.

12. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

that is so so sweeet.

13. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Yep that thing is totally badass now. Im glad I got to ride in it before he decided to copy me and jump the living crap out of his blazer. That was a sweet race tho.

So are you going to truss the new one when you get a new one?

14. Ryan B.

Buildup post in the garage:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175393

How to go from Bashed up blazer, to sweet 1st gen "transformer truggy" in one month...

What you see here is the transformation my k5 has undergone at Pacific Fabrication in Morgan Hill, CA. "If you can dream it, we can build it."
    Kevin and myself spent 4 LONG weekends working on the k5, friday and saturdays we wouldn't call it an evening before midnight and often we'd stay up till 2 am trying to meet our goal of having this completed in 4 weeks for Pismo Dunes Memorial Day weekend!

K5 buildup and other pics can be found on the pacificfab.net website.
    A HUGE THANK YOU to Kevin (k5tpi) and Jen (groupie) at pacific fabrication for helping me with this. It took 20 or 30 12 Packs of Dr. Pepper and many long nights!! My k5 would not be what it is now without them. :thumb:

Now prepare for pic whorring...

My bashed up blazer, last summer on the rubicon:
    [​IMG]
    Pre-Build up:
    [​IMG]
    No body:
    [​IMG]
    ...Then the DOM truck showed up...
    6 sticks 2" .120 DOM
    2 sticks 1.5" .120 DOM
    a few sticks of 1.75 and 1.5 HREW .120"

Me Bending some tube:
    [​IMG]
    Kevin Tig Welding the traction bar shackles:
    [​IMG]
    Rear Bumper:
    [​IMG]
    Main Hoop & Halo:
    [​IMG]
    Coming together:
    [​IMG]
    Plasma Cutting for the tube to pass through the firewall:
    [​IMG]
    Seat Mounts:
    [​IMG]
    Rear Cage almost done:
    [​IMG]
    "Its 1 in the morning, you wanna quit now or keep on working for another hour?" :crazy:
    [​IMG]
    Skinned bedsides, Billet Tube Clamps and aluminum tube supports to hang the Removeable bedsides...
    [​IMG]
    Prototype traction bars to hook up the massive paddle tires and keep the axle from wrappin!
    [​IMG]
    Getting ready to paint..

Not only do the bedsides come off, the front clip is now one piece, retains a few of the factory bolts on the cowl and has custom supports up front (in place of the core support) that makes for quick removal.
    [​IMG]
    Cage and inside painted...
    Notice the filler panel for the A piller of the cage.. Its not quite an inner cage, but not quite and exo cage. We call it a "Mexo-Cage". (mid exo). :haha:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty much finished, Ready for the dunes with the traction bars and paddle tires in the back.
    [​IMG]

I'd like to add a few more bars for the door bar, and the main hoop to triangulate it a little better, when we have some more time...

15. Ryan B.

Play Time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Turns out the Dana 60 front doesn't like to come down from 6 feet of air.:doah:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. vtblazer

Speechless...:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Ryan!

You have officially received a folder on my computer called "Ryan's New K5 Pics".......File -> Save As.... :D

A couple of questions for you (until I see it in person)

1. Any more pics of the A-pillar bracing? Did you weld that stiffening panel directly to the windshield frame?

2. How did you do the transition from the floor sheetmetal to the rocker area? Is the outer chassis tube now your "slider"?

3. Doors? - Based on the position of your A-pillar bars, I'm guessing that doors are no longer an option for you? It looks like it would be pretty easy to fab up a set of tube doors and hinge them off that A-pillar though... :thinking:

AWESOME WORK! :thumb: I remember talking with you about this idea for a couple of years, and I'm blown away that you decided to go for it and really do something innovative (transformer truggy!) It would have been easier not to save the 1st Gen styling cues....but what you've got is INFINITELY more cool than creating yet another Chevy moon buggy (yawn)

:usaflag:

18. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Wow! I'm speechless too!

19. Ryan B.

Thanks guys. :thumb:

Greg..
    No additional pics at this time. The A piller filler panel was all my friend kevin's doing.. I told him to go for it when he asked me if it would be cool to have a filler panel like they do for the inner cage in prerunners.
    When he made the filler panels, and punched the "speed holes" in one of them, it was quite interesting when i would laterally twist the panels, the one with the speed holes would resist twisting a lot better..
    Yup they are welded to both, connecting the tube to the winshield frame.

The slider is the same one that i built back in the day a few years ago.
    It has two tubes that connect from the frame to the slider, and it is also welded all along where it meets up to the floor.. We also added some flat bar stock to fill the gap and get some additional welds tying the floor into the sliders..

Doors aren't gonna happen anymore. Later on down the road i plan on skinning some doors to just the outer shell basically the outside shape.. probably cut a U like a half door, and then attatch it to the cage with some rubber bushings, maybe some quarter turn fasteners..

The soft top should still work fine... I tried to keep the cage profile mostly the same height and width as before so it can clear the hard top.. but i'm not sure if the bedside supports will be happy trying to support all the weight of a hard top..
    Also i'm not really seeing the tailgate going back on it so a hard top would probably be a little goofy.

20. vtblazer

When can you send out all the "pre bent" tubing in a box? :haha:

So when you go wheeling/rock crawling are you able to simply remove the panels to keep them 'safe'?

Greg, got your shop set up yet? :wink1: