Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something I should have thought of before i removed the hard top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I finally got around to taking a look at my hard top a few days ago, figures its held down by those wierd hex bolt with the elevated center deals. Anyway to cut a long story short i got them out with either A. Hammer and Chisel B. Welder and Re-bar C. Sawzall and of course its supposed to rain for the rest of the week. Anyway my problem is with the hex bolts ruined what size replacements should i use, and do i really need to put in those two rear bolts that are mounted from the under side? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif correction /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I seem to remember reading a lot of guys dont run the last 2 bolts cause theyre so hard to get to. If nothing else get it on w/out those bolts and just be easy w/ it till someone can say for sure.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

those rear bolts dont mean dick, dont put em back in,

hell right now i only got 4 bolts on the bed rails, and im missing on of the bolts on the cab,

usually i got all the bolts on the bedrails but i just didnt feel like putting the rest of them in today heh.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha I took mine off yesterday. Suppossed to rain tonight and tomorrow :-/ oh well I took my carpet out and covered my seat. Friend and I went to put her back on this afternoon and realized the two of us it wasn't happening. Pulled a muscle in my shoulder trying to lift it up off my neck.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah i didnt put those corner ones back in either...i dont think i did at least. i do know i ran without them for a while and it didnt matter

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My corner ones weren't in when I got it and haven't seen a problem.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    usually i got all the bolts on the bedrails but i just didnt feel like putting the rest of them in today heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just don't forget to put 'em in before you go wheelin'. I think it was Greg72 that ripped up his hard top by going wheelin' with just a few bolts holding the top on. When the body flexed the bolts ripped through the top. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The metal rail along the top on 2nd Gen K5's probably would help somewhat, but it would suck to ruin your hard top.

8. Silver84k5

Heh, i will, i didnt even put the metal rails on, i just wanted to drive my truck to the store, so i threw them in real quick,

by the way, almost wrecked on the way to the store, i posted about it in the garage

If you ever adjust your steering box with that little allen screw on the top, Be aware, It goes bad after a week or so of driving, a lot worse then it was before the adjustment.

sorry for hijackin heh

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Prolly a little late to mention this...but they sell security torx bits at the parts stores so you don't need a chisel or welder.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rene

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah I usually just use 4 bolts to keep the damn thing on for the 2 months that it's on in the winter.

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to jack your post, but what about body or frame getting tweaked by flexing w/out the top?

12. Silver84k5

Most rock crawlers, and trail runners, Wheel without the top as much as possible, so i dont think it is anything to worry about.

13. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

SWEEEEEEET. See you out there... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not trying to jack your post, but what about body or frame getting tweaked by flexing w/out the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think a fiberglass top would help much with the body twisting...most of the wheelin i have done in my 88 was with the hard top on..and my body is still cracking and breaking up around the door pillers /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif and around the tail gate...there is no rust at all in it so i know thats not the problem..(gota love California for no rust vehicals)

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

k5s flex a bit more without the top on. Whether its bad for the body I don't know. I know without my top on the roof of my half cab can be heard popping on bumps like its popping a dent out. Never heard it with the cap on. And its not like it can only be heard with the cap off cause it echoes through the metal.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Assuming Greg72 was in a 72 that would be a full top K5, those have much more of a top cracking prob.

17. bigjbear

The torx screws didn't come on the older modles, they are some sort of lawsuite generated crap. Throw them in the trash.

18. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

So what is the correct bolt thread and size? I took my top off last summer and some of them were corroded. I would like to get replacement ones in stainless for this summer. I seem to remember that they were slightly tapered!?! Am I remembering that wrong or are they tapered?

Later,
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

19. bigjbear

They are tapered, helps line up floating nut plates. Decide if you want the taper or stainless steel. Hardware store for S/S or LMC/Year One/dealer for the chrome & tapered ones. Take one out when you go to the store to get the size.