Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something is wrong here.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Dec 24, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

The town I live in used to have about 7,000 people living in it. That was about 5 years ago. It was mostly hosrse ranches and vinyards. Then all of a sudden everyone in Orange County and San Diego County decided they wanted to live here. Now the town has over 80,000 people and the average home costs over $350k. I am completely surronded by these expensive tract homes now and I can't beleive that ANYONE would pay that much for a tract home. And,,,, the prices are still going up...

So with all these fairly well to do people moving in here and buying these overpriced cracker boxes that are only 5 feet away from eachother, how did we end up with poor people living in them??? What do you mean "Poor People" you ask?

For the last 5 nights in a row, the local police dept has been driving around these expensive tract homes with lights flashing, sirens going and Christmas Music blaring from the PA. They were going from one block to another stopping at one or two homes on each block and handing out presents to the "under privilaged children" in these homes...

I don't get it... If these people live in $350k tract homes and drive $30k SUVs and $40k deisel trucks, why are the police running around handing out presents to thier "under privalaged kids"?

Something is wrong here... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wtf is that? Can you say editorial to local paper? My area is the sameway. used to be all backwoods, dairy farms, and horse farms, now we have 350k houses and developments as far as the eye can see. The kids in school are getting worse and worse, every year more people move from Philly to my sleepy little town and the kids act all gangster and crap cause they came from Philadelphia yo. Last year I seriouslly heard a girl say, "eww I saw a cow last night, there aren't suppossed to be cows in Perkasie". Maybe those people are like the people I hate in Philly that live in row homes in the middle of cracktown and drive a 70K car with 10K rims and 20K in freaking stereo junk.

3. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you say editorial to local paper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't happen. One of the city officials family OWNS the local paper. You never see anything derogitory about this town in the paper. I once stood up at the city council meeting and publicly accused one of the city officials of crimes against me and my civil rights. The local paper was there and when the story was NOT published I asked the reporter why. He said that he was told that if he published that story he would be fired. This is a REALLY CROOKED TOWN!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sure sounds like it, we get stuff in our papers all the time, sometimes it seems like they pick the stupidest stories that make you laugh though. There was a guy in one of the developments nearby that claims the local tire factory makes this constant noise that drives him crazy and wakes him at all hours of the night.... I live less than a 1/4 mile from said plant and have all my life, never heard a damn thing. He wrote an editorial the next week complaining about the story making him look crazy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

That ain't nothin!

The cops don't come around my neighborhood.

SWAT does . . . in the armored car, handing out guns, knives, body armor, crack and other such necessities to the underprivileged homies.
    And they ain't playing Christmas music either, they play "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" by REM!

Well it's not quite that bad, but it's getting there quickly!

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Amen to that... My dad used to live on Green St., and I remember when his house and two others were the only ones for 2 miles.

[ QUOTE ]
    live in row homes in the middle of cracktown and drive a <font color="red"> $700 </font> car with <font color="red"> $10,000 </font> rims and <font color="red"> $20,000 </font> in freaking stereo junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

There, now it's fixed.

BTW, what tire factory are you talking about? I figured the loudest things in Sellersville/Perkasie were 309 and Carson Helicopters (my former employer)...

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So let's imagine one of your neighbors bought one of those houses 7 or 8 months ago. Dropped all his liquid assets into the down payment and other costs associated with buying the place. Things go well for a few months and the guy loses his job.

Yeah, he has a decent car in the driveway but he needs it to try and find work and or use to get to a job if and when he does find something.

Whatever savings he might have had are gone now and the chances of losing the house or the car are increasing every day. He has already sold a bunch of jewelry, furniture, and his coin collection to continue making the mortgage payment and put a little food on the table.

Should people be homeless before they can recieve a little Christmas cheer...a bit of food and some generic gifts for the kids?

Don't ever judge a book by it's cover, or a person's financial situation by what they drive or what their house is worth.

I'd guess if they're stopping by to drop off food and gifts that things aren't what they appear to be financially at that house.

Merry Christmas.

Rene

8. landsmasher

Now just HOLD ON there pardner... You didn't get the jist of my post. I said something is wrong here. Somebody screwed up somewhere. And not just one guy. Half the fricken neighborhood was getting these visits. It lasted for 5 nights. All in about a 5000 home area. 1 or 2 per block...

Anyone who sinks ALL of thier assets into one place with no reserve and a shakey job market shoulda had his head examined... He shoulda never put his family into that kind of position.

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't ever judge a book by it's cover, or a person's financial situation by what they drive or what their house is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not judging. I'm saying WTF is going on here? Something is wrong.... I don't know if it's peoples judgement of late or just shear stupidity? But this HAS to make one wonder WTF is going on when people who purchase these outragously over priced homes are broke in a year or two to the point where they can't afford Christmas for thier kids.... Something is surely wrong here.

9. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Something is wrong.... I don't know if it's peoples judgement of late or just shear stupidity? But this HAS to make one wonder WTF is going on when people who purchase these outragously over priced homes are broke in a year or two to the point where they can't afford Christmas for thier kids.... Something is surely wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't we all made mistakes? I've personally been in that kind of situation...had a good job and lost it due to a major market change (9/11) and nearly lost our home.

I'm just saying that it's a sign of the current economy that there were so many visits in your new neighborhood. Don't forget for every home there was a bank that mortgaged the place. They obviously showed equally poor judgement if these people had such shaky jobs. Sh!t happens regardless of demographics, and until you have walked in their shoes for a mile or two you can't know whether they were dumb, irresponsible or whatever. Fact is it doesn't matter...giving and helping people in need shouldn't come with pre-requisites and conditions.

Maybe next time you see a house being visited ask yourself one question..."What do I know for sure?" then imagine how you'd feel if you were getting the visit. It's humbling and without kids most people would probably refuse it...

Merry Christmas

Rene

10. landsmasher

So you agree... something is wrong. I'm not puting these people down for thier mishaps. I'm saying something is wrong when so many people can get into a situation like that so quickly. I didn't say WHAT is wrong or WHO's fault it is. I'm just saying something is wrong...

Merry Christmas To You Too.

11. tRustyK5

Yeah, it can be a crappy time of year. This is the first Christmas in a long time for us that work and money have been decent.

Kudo's to the guys making the rounds trying to help people out, and kudo's to everyone that gave to charities that help people in need at this time of year.

Rene

12. landsmasher

Ya this time of year is for family cheer and kids and stuff. All people deserve at least one time per year that allows peace, harmony and good times. I'm just wondering what is in store for us and whether or not this is a precursor to the future. Save your pennies and invest wisely my friends. Things are not as they should be.

Merry Christmas to all,
    It's a hell of a night...

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Amen to that... My dad used to live on Green St., and I remember when his house and two others were the only ones for 2 miles.

[ QUOTE ]
    live in row homes in the middle of cracktown and drive a <font color="red"> $700 </font> car with <font color="red"> $10,000 </font> rims and <font color="red"> $20,000 </font> in freaking stereo junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

There, now it's fixed.

BTW, what tire factory are you talking about? I figured the loudest things in Sellersville/Perkasie were 309 and Carson Helicopters (my former employer)...

[/ QUOTE ]
    The old Bergey's tire factory over on Old 309(prebypass). I think they just like do retreads or something. I can't say Carson makes noise I notice, the flight path for either Allentown or Philly airport is over our area. I go mudding in the farm fields right out behind Carson. Friends with the kids of the people that own that farm. Done many donuts in the runway... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And yeah when you go down to Phill there are 3 kinds of cars, junk, junk with expensive rims and stereo, and nice stuff someone put expensive rims and stereo on. Everytime I go down there it amazes me how many Rim and Stereo shops there are.

14. landsmasher

You guys forgot to start off your repies with HIGH JACK... LOL!

Oh well...

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys forgot to start off your repies with HIGH JACK... LOL!

Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OOOPS!

Wait, something's missing...

***HIJACK***
    OOOPS!
    ***END HIJACK***

Better now?

BTW, you didn't start yours with "hijack" either...
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can you say editorial to local paper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't happen. One of the city officials family OWNS the local paper. You never see anything derogitory about this town in the paper. I once stood up at the city council meeting and publicly accused one of the city officials of crimes against me and my civil rights. The local paper was there and when the story was NOT published I asked the reporter why. He said that he was told that if he published that story he would be fired. This is a REALLY CROOKED TOWN!

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a job for the "A" team. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. landsmasher

19. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif