Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something just isn't right

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hpfire7227, Apr 19, 2000.

1. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

something just isn\'t right

what's up guys and gals. hoping somebody has a suggestion for me about this...it's getting me worried. While driving at about 40-50 mph is when it happens.It's like the engine skips, but it's a violent skip,that makes the whole truck rock and the drivetrain clunk. It usually just lets out one of these 'skips', but sometimes there will be a group of 3-5. It sounds very serious, and I'm stumped because other than that, it runs strong and smooth. Its an 89, 350 tbi. Also, it seems to do it frequently when there is a load placed on the engine, like going up slight hills...when it is about to kick in. Could it be a tranny or drivetrain prob.? Any help is appreciated!

10 BOLTS O' FUN

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Re: something just isn\'t right

If you have not done it, I would change the fuel filter first, sounds like a clogged filter.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. hpfire7227

that was my first thought too...just did the fuel filter with no results. FRUSTRATING!!

10 BOLTS O' FUN

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I second that! Had a simmilar symptom! I swaped the fule pump and fuel filters and haven't had it sence!!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That sounds to me like the symptom of a lockup torque converter clutch going bad. If I am correct, very soon you will lose the ability to move the truck at all. The TCC will self destruct. When this happens, the truck will creep forward when you give it gas in a forward gear, but it will not hook up. I hope this is not what is wrong with your truck. Has your tranny been rebuilt? I am assuming it is an automatic. When the TCC does go, it will spread chunks of metal throughout your tranny, most likely requiring a rebuild.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Does it happen when the motor is hot or cold? If it happens when you're running warm, it might be the ignition module kicking out........ I sure hope for your sake it's not the TCC - it sure sounds messy!!!!!!

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I doubt this is it, but here's my story. The power wire for my HEI was loose and kept loosing contact when I'd drive over bumps. The engine would kind of cut out for a split second and then come back on. Just something for you to check I guess.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. muddking

muddking Newbie

Try disconecting the four prong plug for your torque convertor lock-up switch. if your problem goes away, than it is that switch. I won't affect the tranny but you will lose some MPG. Tranny may also run a little warmer. try the plug first.

9. hpfire7227

Thanks for the input guys. Hey muddking, where is that switch? How accessible is it? Thanks again.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I agree that it's the TCC. I had a car that did the same thing, although much more violently than you described. The dash used to jump an inch about every half a second if I kept the speed constant. Scared the s*#t out of me the first time it started. I unplugged the TCC wire harness and that took care of it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    Proud owner of an 88 Jimmy

11. chad

chad Registered Member

I'm with Canmore, our Corsica did that and damned if I could figure it out. Took it to one of my dads friend's who is a mechanic he drove it a knew right away what the problem was, he changed the ignition module and bam worked like a charm!

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

12. hpfire7227

ok then...I'll throw in a new ignition module and unplug the TCC harness and call you in the morning. Thanks again for the help.

10 BOLTS O' FUN